The Illinois Chamber of Commerce hosts “PTO Best Practices” to provide tips on creating an effective PTO policy that reduces employee absenteeism and addresses both exempt and non-exempt employees. Logistics of creating a strong policy will be addressed such as:
- Creating an economical PTO program
- The key components you need to consider when creating a policy
- The benefits and disadvantages of having a PTO policy that combines vacation time, personal days, holidays, etc.
- Compliance with federal employment laws including the FMLA, OSHA, ADA and FLSA.
- Carryover from year to year and cash out options in Illinois
- Notices required when forcing exempt employees to use their PTO for enforced furloughs
- Partial-day absence deductions from salaries
- Discussion on the legality of “use it or lose it” policies