IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 2006
Michigan State University, B.A., 2000
The laws surrounding immigration are constantly evolving. U.S. companies need to be aware of the changing immigration compliance requirements with regard to employment authorization and the Form I-9. When employers need assistance with employment authorization compliance, Sara is their first call.
Sara is an employment attorney handling immigration workplace enforcement, wage and hour issues and discrimination issues for her clients. Sara routinely works with clients on needs relating to I-9 audits, I-9 and E-Verify compliance, workplace enforcement counseling, defense of governmental immigration related audits and defense of discrimination claims relating to immigration status.
Sara also focuses her practice on governmental wage and hour audits, wage and hour single plaintiff claims and class action claims nationwide. Sara effectively and efficiently assists her clients in analyzing potential damages and defenses in wage and hour matters along with swift resolution of such claims.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Stars": 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Immigration Lawyers Association; Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM); Illinois State Bar Association
- Successfully dismissed a class action under Illinois minimum wage law claiming the defendant failed to pay for all hours worked and applicable overtime after coordinating a Rule 68 offer
- Won dismissal of a class action law suit with zero settlement money paid after proving that the plaintiff did not meet the requirements of their employment agreement and therefore owed the defendant money.
- Successfully obtained denial of motion for class certification in contentious FLSA and IMWL wage and hour matter. District Court found the purported class representative was not adequate due to evidence of dishonesty concerning his own time reports. Aggressive discovery strategy and effort led to proof that the former employee was working for multiple employers at same time; committing time fraud.
News & Press Releases
- Cook County Record, February 14, 2019
- Lawmakers Vow to Override Governor's Salary History Bill Veto – Sara Zorich Interviewed by ABC7 NewsSeptember 25, 2018
- 30 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- January 12, 2015
- March 18, 2014
- January 3, 2013
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's The Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- Must Employers Pay for Employee’s Temperature Screens in light of COVID-19? Wage and Hour Laws May Impact Employer Safety ProceduresMay 5, 2020
- US DOL Releases Families First Coronavirus Response Act (FFCRA) Temporary Regulations and Updates FAQ’sApril 3, 2020
- March 27, 2020
- DHS Relaxes I-9 Requirements for New-Hires Impacted by COVID-19 and USCIS Extends Timeframe for E-verify TNCsMarch 24, 2020
- March 20, 2020
- June 8, 2017
- May 18, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2019
- Illinois Business Leader Magazine, May 4, 2017
Presentations & Events
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webcast, May 21, 2020
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, March 26, 2020
- Are You Ready for January 1, 2020? Illinois Minimum Wage and FLSA Exempt Status Salary Changes: What You Need to KnowIllinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, December 3, 2019
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, August 27, 2019
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, April 18, 2019
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, April 4, 2019
- SmithAmundsen; Lombard, IL, September 26, 2018
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Glen Ellyn, IL, June 7, 2018
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, May 24, 2018
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Chicago, IL, October 24, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, October 17, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, July 25, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Chicago, IL, June 20, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Naperville, IL, February 23, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Chicago, IL, February 2, 2017
- International Recruitment, Visas & Immigration ComplianceDeveloping Effective CMHC Operational Management Seminar, December 12, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Chicago, IL, December 1, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, November 1, 2016
- Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, September 22, 2016
- SmithAmundsen, Webinar, June 2, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, May 10, 2016
- Webinar, Illinois Chamber of Commerce, February 25, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, January 19, 2016