Marquette University Law School, J.D., 2011
Northern Illinois University, B.A., 2006, magna cum laude
As a former Human Resources supervisor, Peter understands the challenges his clients face, including being on the receiving end of a lawsuit brought on by a former employee. What he remembers of the experience is the assurance he felt when working with his employment lawyer to resolve the matter. Today he strives to give his own clients the same comfort and confidence of knowing that everything is under control, and that he will do whatever is necessary to represent their interests.
Peter defends employers against claims of discrimination and retaliation under the state and federal laws, including the ADA, ADEA, FMLA, FLSA, IHRA, and Title VII. He represents clients in all phases of state, federal and administrative agency litigation and government hearings. He works with employers of all sizes in many different industries, including security, construction, healthcare, and non-profit.
Outside the office Peter’s three young children keep him busy, and do their best to keep him humble.
- Selected to Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2021
Memberships & Involvement
Member: Illinois State Bar Association; Wisconsin State Bar Association
- Successfully defended client in a nationwide wage and hour class and collective action alleging violations of federal and Wisconsin state wage and hour laws
- Obtained summary judgment for client in a lawsuit alleging wrongful termination in violation of public policy
- Retained to regularly draft employee handbooks, restrictive covenants, and arbitration agreements for clients operating throughout the Midwest
- Successfully represented client in a lawsuit brought by the Illinois Attorney General alleging a pattern and practice of discrimination under the Illinois Human Rights Act
- Resolved dozens of employment discrimination claims in state and federal agencies with complete dismissals or nuisance-value settlements
- Obtained dismissal of lawsuit alleging violations of the Family and Medical Leave Act and Americans with Disabilities Act
- Represented clients in Department of Labor audits and investigations without adverse findings or penalties
News & Press Releases
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- February 23, 2021
- November 18, 2020
- September 14, 2020
- May 14, 2020
- May 14, 2020
- Workers’ Compensation and COVID-19: Proving Work Comp Claims are Becoming Easier (with Illinois leading the way…)April 13, 2020
- April 6, 2020
- March 26, 2020
- How Will An Employer’s Existing Paid Leave Policies Apply to The Families First Coronavirus Response Act Paid Leave MandatesMarch 19, 2020
- March 18, 2020
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2021
Presentations & Events
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webcast, October 28, 2020
- Lorman Education Services, Webcast, May 1, 2020
- The Horton Group, Webcast, March 24, 2020
- The Horton Group, Webcast, March 20, 2020
- Presented by SmithAmundsen COVID-19 Task Force, March 18, 2020
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Rock Island, IL, March 5, 2020