Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 2003 High Honors
Illinois Institute of Technology, B.S., 1993
As the National Labor Relations Board advocates in favor of unions and makes it more difficult for employers to communicate the potential ill effects of unionization, the climate between employers and union members becomes more treacherous. Mike works with employers in traditional labor relations matters by preparing statements of position, investigating grievances and litigating matters in response to filings of unfair labor practices with the National Labor Relations Board.
Mike counsels employers on labor relations, including compliance with federal and state statutes and regulations regarding Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act and the National Labor Relations Act. He represents employers facing litigation matters, such as discrimination charges, union organizing drives, collective bargaining, arbitration, and employment contracts and restrictive covenant disputes.
Additionally, Mike provides counsel to clients involved in immigration matters with regard to employment and compliance. He regularly assists employers in obtaining H-1B visas for temporary foreign employees and conducts compliance audits of I-9 forms and employer work authorization obligations.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Illinois State Bar Association
- Board of Directors: Fox Valley Association General Contractors
- Managed successive campaigns to avert unionization of warehouse employees of food manufacturer, where the union filed representation petitions three times over a five-year period. Each time, the matter was decided by secret-ballot election of the warehouse employees, with the Company’s winning margin increasing each election.
- Negotiated successor CBA for client, procuring economic increases under client’s budgeted target, all non-economic changes client wanted, and securing the union’s agreement to a 5-year contract, per the client’s pre-negotiation objectives.
- Secured hard-fought win in union representation election for St. Louis area auto dealership, where union sought to organize service shop mechanics.
- Handled negotiations for an initial CBA for industrial manufacturer, where parties were unable to agree to terms for over a year, resulting in disaffected employees presenting the company with a petition for removal of the union, which the company used to successfully withdraw recognition from the union.
- Successfully filed numerous unfair labor practice charges against unions unlawful picketing activities at construction sites, resulting in the removal of the unlawful picketing and cessation of other unlawful union tactics, in order for work by all contractors on the project to continue unabated.
News & Press Releases
- Chicago Tribune Quotes Mike Hughes Regarding Labor and Employment Issues in Lawsuit Against Chicago BlackhawksChicago Tribune, June 18, 2021
- Illinois Chamber Tells IDOL Joint Employer Rule Unnecessary – Mike Hughes Provides Testimony to the Illinois Department of Labor (IDOL)Illinois Chamber of Commerce Employment Law Council Newsletter, December 2020
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- The Illinois Manufacturer Magazine, August 2, 2021
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, March 2021
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2021
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2020
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2019
Presentations & Events
- SmithAmundsen; Oak Brook, IL, September 29, 2021
- SmithAmundsen; Webcast, January 21, 2021
- SmithAmundsen; Oak Brook, IL, January 23, 2020
- The Horton Group, Webinar, December 11, 2019
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Naperville, IL, November 14, 2018
- SmithAmundsen Seminar, Chicago, IL; Webinar, November 2, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, October 26, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, March 8, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, Seminar; Chicago, IL, February 16, 2017
- Construction Law Power Seminar: Critical Legal Updates Impacting the Construction Industry: What You Need to Know for 2017SmithAmundsen, Lombard, IL, January 24, 2017
- SmithAmundsen Chicago, IL; Webinar, November 10, 2016
- Technology and Manufacturing Association, Conference; Hoffman Estates, IL, November 9, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, October 18, 2016
- Harry Caray's, Lombard, IL, September 28, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, May 31, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Springfield, IL, May 26, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Bolingbrook, IL, January 28, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, January 20, 2016