The John Marshall Law School, J.D.
University of Illinois, B.A.
Matthew is a proven advocate for his clients, and his practical and competitive nature has allowed him to achieve an unparalleled level of success in the courtroom, as well as positive outcomes for his clients at all stages before trial. Additionally, his creative and thoughtful approach to business and legal issues, coupled with his insurance, accounting, and construction background, allow him to serve as a trusted and effective adviser to his general representation clients.
As co-chair of the firm’s Construction Practice Group, Matthew oversees a team providing comprehensive litigation and transactional services to his clients in the construction industry, commonly dealing with contract issues and disputes, construction defect claims, personal injury claims, and OSHA citations. As chair of the firm’s OSHA Practice Group, he oversees a team ensuring that clients in all industries are in compliance with applicable safety and health regulations. When compliance issues arise, he represents clients at all stages, from the initiation of an OSHA inspection through the litigation of any citations issued.
Matthew’s successes do not end in serving the litigation and general representation needs of his clients. He is an accomplished legal writer and speaker, and is involved in many different legal and construction-related associations, including the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, the Defense Research Institute, the Underground Contractors Association, and the Illinois Road and Transportation Builders Association.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel; Defense Research Institute; Underground Contractors Association; Illinois Road and Transportation Builders Association; Associated General Contractors of America; Association of Subcontractors and Affiliates
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the owner of a construction project that caught fire during the course of the project, causing nearly $4 million in damages to surrounding property owners.
- Defended a large custom home-builder in a case brought against it by a homeowner seeking $800,000 in damages for alleged and admitted defects to the home. Following trial, a verdict was rendered against the client for $80,000 as a result of the admitted defects.
- Represented a general contractor in a case brought against it by a restaurant seeking $750,000 in damages for alleged defects to an outdoor patio with a retractable roof built by the contractor. Filed a counterclaim against the restaurant for amounts still owed to the contractor for the work. Following a trial, a verdict was rendered awarding the restaurant nothing and awarding the client all amounts unpaid and outstanding.
- Counsel clients through countless OSHA inspections, often preventing citations from being issued, but when issued, obtaining deletions of citations and reductions in both classifications and fines.
News & Press Releases
- January 24, 2019
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- 34 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- January 12, 2015
- March 18, 2014
- December 12, 2018
- October 16, 2018
- July 20, 2018
- November 21, 2017
- August 2, 2017
- June 27, 2017
- April 7, 2017
- November 11, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- May 11, 2016
- March 25, 2016
- November 6, 2015
- September 23, 2015
- August 6, 2015
- May 11, 2015
Presentations & Events
- Construction Expo & Safety Conference; Oakbrook, IL, March 19, 2019
- Finishing Contractors Association of Illinois (FCAI), Webinar, March 6, 2019
- January 17, 2019
- SmithAmundsen; Oak Brook, IL, January 17, 2019
- SmithAmundsen Seminar; Lombard, IL, January 17, 2018
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, November 14, 2017
- Construction Law Power Seminar: Critical Legal Updates Impacting the Construction Industry: What You Need to Know for 2017SmithAmundsen, Lombard, IL, January 24, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, Lombard, IL, February 11, 2016