The John Marshall Law School, J.D.
University of Illinois, B.A.
As co-chair of the firm’s Construction Practice Group, Matthew oversees a team providing comprehensive transactional and litigation services to his clients in the construction industry, commonly dealing with contract drafting, negotiations, and disputes, as well as mechanics lien and construction defect claims. On behalf of their construction clients, Matthew and his team are routinely involved in complex projects and contentious, multi-party disputes.
As chair of the firm’s OSHA Practice Group, Matthew oversees a team ensuring that clients in all industries are in compliance with the applicable OSHA regulations. When OSHA issues arise, Matthew and his team represent clients at all stages, from the initiation of an inspection through the litigation of citations. Matthew’s goal with an OSHA inspection is to avoid the issuance of citations altogether, but when citations are issued, he has the experience, knowledge, and credibility needed to resolve them in the best way possible.
Matthew is a proven advocate for his clients, and his practical and competitive nature allows him to achieve success in and out of the courtroom, as well as positive outcomes for his clients at all stages in their legal matters. Additionally, his creative and thoughtful approach to business and legal issues, coupled with his accounting and construction background, allow him to serve as a trusted and effective adviser to his clients.
Matthew’s successes do not end in serving the legal needs of his clients. He is an accomplished legal writer and speaker, and is involved in many different legal and construction-related associations, including the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel, the Defense Research Institute, the Underground Contractors Association, and the Illinois Road and Transportation Builders Association.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel; Defense Research Institute; Underground Contractors Association; Illinois Road and Transportation Builders Association; Associated General Contractors of America; Association of Subcontractors and Affiliates
- Draft, review, and negotiate contracts on construction projects across the country on behalf of owners, architects, general contractors, and subcontractors.
- Serve as outside general counsel to companies of all sizes in the construction and general industry fields, overseeing all of their legal needs.
- Represent companies in all industries in their OSHA matters, providing them with pre-inspection, inspection management, citation analysis, and litigation services.
Representative litigated matters include:
- Succeeded in having 30 citations (worth $1 million) thrown out on a Fourth Amendment unlawful search and seizure argument in the largest OSHA case from 2017.
- Obtained dismissal by way of dispositive motion on behalf of a precast panel contractor whose alleged defective work caused the owner $7,000,000 in damages.
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of the owner of a construction project that caught fire during the course of the project, allegedly causing $4,000,000 in damage to surrounding property owners.
- Defended an aluminum manufacturing and processing company in the largest OSHA case issues in 2017, with OSHA fines totaling nearly $2,000,000.
- Defended a custom home-builder in a case brought against it by a homeowner seeking nearly $1,000,000 in damages for alleged defects to the home. Following arbitration, a verdict was rendered for the client.
- Represented a general contractor in a case brought against it by a restaurant seeking nearly $1,000,000 in damages for alleged defects to an outdoor patio and retractable roof built by the contractor. Filed a counterclaim against the restaurant for amounts still owed to the client for the work. Following a trial, a verdict was rendered awarding the restaurant nothing and awarding the client all amounts unpaid and outstanding for the patio and retractable roof.
- Represented a developer in a case brought against it by one of its contractors seeking a six figure payment for work performed on nearly thirty different lots. Following a trial, a verdict was rendered for the client, awarding the contractor nothing.
- Defended an underground contractor in a six-figure OSHA case involving five citations, many classified as willful and repeat. Following the trial, four of the citations were dismissed.
News & Press Releases
- January 29, 2021
- January 29, 2020
- January 24, 2019
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- 29 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- January 12, 2015
- March 18, 2014
- September 29, 2021
- September 9, 2021
- August 16, 2021
- June 10, 2021
- May 27, 2021
- March 16, 2021
- February 10, 2021
- January 7, 2021
- May 22, 2020
- May 22, 2020
- April 24, 2020
- April 14, 2020
- March 23, 2020
- March 23, 2020
- September 5, 2019
- December 12, 2018
- October 16, 2018
- July 20, 2018
- November 21, 2017
- August 2, 2017
- June 27, 2017
- April 7, 2017
- November 11, 2016
- August 1, 2016
- May 11, 2016
- March 25, 2016
Presentations & Events
- Valley Industrial Association, Webcast, March 30, 2021
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webcast, March 23, 2021
- SmithAmundsen; Webcast, January 21, 2021
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webcast, November 4, 2020
- USLAW Network, Webcast, September 30, 2020 - October 9, 2020
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webcast, July 16, 2020
- The Chamber of Manitowoc County; Webcast, May 19, 2020
- Illinois Manufacturers' Association, Webcast, April 28, 2020
- SmithAmundsen, Webcast, April 9, 2020
- SmithAmundsen; Oak Brook, IL, January 23, 2020
- Corkill Insurance Agency, Webinar, October 10, 2019
- Construction Expo & Safety Conference; Oakbrook, IL, March 19, 2019
- Finishing Contractors Association of Illinois (FCAI), Webinar, March 6, 2019
- January 17, 2019
- SmithAmundsen Seminar; Lombard, IL, January 17, 2018
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, November 14, 2017
- Construction Law Power Seminar: Critical Legal Updates Impacting the Construction Industry: What You Need to Know for 2017SmithAmundsen, Lombard, IL, January 24, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, Lombard, IL, February 11, 2016