Northern Illinois University College of Law, J.D., 2013, cum laude
Loyola University Chicago, M.S., Industrial Relations, 1995
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.S., 1994
Kelly regularly counsels clients on employee benefit and executive compensation matters, helping employers understand their obligations under the Affordable Care Act, ERISA and the Internal Revenue Code. Kelly advises employers on qualified and non-qualified retirement plans, employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs), health and welfare plans, wellness programs and severance plans. She creates and drafts plan documents, amendments and summary plan descriptions. Kelly also works with companies to design and draft effective executive compensation plans, including equity plans, nonqualified deferred compensation plans, supplemental executive retirement plans (SERPs) and executive employment agreements. Her experience also includes advising clients on ERISA fiduciary obligations, including plan investment issues and prohibited transactions, negotiating third party administrator service agreements, and correcting plan errors through the Department of Labor and Internal Revenue Service voluntary correction programs.
Prior to practicing law, Kelly oversaw the design and administration of all benefit and compensation programs for two large multinational companies. She managed the transition of all benefits and compensation programs during a spin-off and initial public offering. Before moving into a corporate role, Kelly spent ten years at a premier human resource consulting firm advising clients on executive compensation matters. Her background in corporate human resources allows her to understand her clients’ needs. She knows how a legal matter can impact an organization and helps clients proactively address legal issues.
When she is not in the office she is with her husband and three kids, attending soccer games, dance performances and school events. She is also a volunteer Board Member for TriCity Family Services, a local community mental health agency.
Memberships & Involvement
- Board of Directors, Human Resources Committee: TriCity Family Services
- Member: American Bar Association; Illinois Bar Association; DuPage County Bar Association; Kane County Bar Association; American Benefits Council
- Designed and drafted deferred compensation plan for a start-up company
- Provided support for client during a Department of Labor defined contribution plan audit and assisted with identified corrections to bring plan into compliance
- Defended several clients against discrimination charges at the Illinois Department of Human Rights
- Reviewed and revised health plan Summary Plan Descriptions for compliance with the Affordable Care Act
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
Presentations & Events
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, June 12, 2019
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Naperville, IL, May 15, 2019
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Glen Ellyn, IL, June 7, 2018
- Illinois CPA Society Midwest Accounting & Finance Showcase; Rosemont, IL, August 29, 2017
- SmithAmundsen Seminar, Chicago, IL; Webinar, August 3, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, July 12, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Naperville, IL, February 23, 2017
- National Business Institute, Seminar; Chicago, IL, December 5, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, September 29, 2016
- Webinar, September 13, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, August 31, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, July 21, 2016
- National Business Institute, Naperville, IL., June 8, 2016
- SmithAmundsen, Webinar, May 5, 2016
- Webinar, Illinois Chamber of Commerce, February 25, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, February 10, 2016
- National Business Institute, Chicago, IL, December 9, 2015 - December 10, 2015
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, September 24, 2015
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, July 15, 2015; August 20, 2015