Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 1994
Southwest Missouri State University, B.S., 1987
Daniel understands that a business’s objectives and goals are one of the most important aspects of a legal strategy; he prides himself on understanding the client’s business and industry, and takes personal responsibility for meeting the client’s objectives. He insists on personally seeing each matter through and holds himself responsible for obtaining the best results for his clients. As chair of the Commercial Litigation Practice Group, Daniel and his team are prepared every day to respond to whatever needs their clients have, no matter how large or small, and do so with the desire to add to their clients’ success. As managing partner of the firm’s St. Louis office, Dan advises and mentors our St. Louis attorneys and leads its strategic growth.
For more than 20 years Daniel has assisted business owners in both transactional and litigation matters with particular emphasis in the construction, heavy equipment, real estate, fuel, and banking industries. Daniel’s transaction experience includes guiding clients through every facet of a business acquisition or sale, from the start in preparing for sale, through negotiations, due diligence, closing, and even post-closing matters, such as indemnity disputes. He also handles real estate development including acquisition, zoning, private and public financing, and sale. In addition, Daniel handles litigation matters. He has tried many cases in state and federal court and has a significant depth of experience in bankruptcy and insolvency litigation as well as administrative matters such as zoning appeals and tax appeals.
Prior to law school Daniel studied finance and worked in the corporate world. His background, and acumen with numbers and financial concepts, allows him to provide another level of advice and guidance when evaluating terms of deals or analyzing litigation.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Bar Association, Committee on Trial and Techniques; American Bar Association, Section of Tort and Insurance Practice; Construction Law Forum; Missouri Bar Association; Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Successfully defended complete resolution of a multi-party $50 million CERCLA environmental claims brought by a bank upon default of the developer
- Prosecuted over $5 million commercial property tax refund through the Missouri State Tax Commission
- Defended and prosecuted Bank’s security interest in the form of an assignment of ownership interest in LLC against competing ownership and property interests in multi party quiet title, priority, declaratory judgment, and damages case.
- Prosecuted a shareholder’s breach of fiduciary duty and minority oppression claims to judgment, recovering for controlling majority’s ignoring of minority interests and failure to pay dividends while engaging in transactions to benefit majority
- Prosecuted Developer’s quiet title action and intervening claims regarding $8.2 million NID financing project
- Prosecuted $1.6 million broker liability (breach of fiduciary duty claim)
- Defended Developer in a declaratory judgment action regarding control of a condominium association and development rights
- Defended Business Owner against claims in excess of $2 million by family members claiming breach of fiduciary duty
- Obtained $450,000 pre-judgment attachment in dispute involving Missouri Petroleum Act
- Represented banks, developers and property owners in numerous matters involving title, including title defect, adverse possession, prescriptive easement, lien prosecution, priority of liens and zoning matters; including multiple appeals of failure to re-zone; claims against the highway department regarding new a highway project on behalf of homeowners seeking sound buffers under state regulations; unlawful detainer/quiet title action regarding encroachment; quiet title action to remove a sale of alcohol deed restriction
- Multiple complex real property and UCC equipment foreclosures including litigating competing priority claims and bankruptcy relief.
- Represented Seller of a trash collection and hauling business in $35,000,000 asset sale to a publicly traded company with subsequent resolution of post-closing indemnity issues
- Represented Purchaser in acquisition and development of a construction entity along the Mississippi River, including $2,500,000 business acquisition, separate $1.5 fleet acquisition, and separate $2,000,000 real estate purchase
- Represented Seller in 2 separate transactions for the sale of a motorcycle dealership, including $4,000,000 business sale and a separate $2,800,000 real estate sale transaction
- Represented a fuel and convenience store corporation in multiple acquisitions and development transactions in addition of more than 20 new locations in the Midwest
- Represented a large regional paper distribution company in expansion of their retail presence in the Midwest via four separate acquisition transactions at $1,000,000 to $2,000,000 each
- Developed an integrated structure for a growing financial services company to conform ownership structure with SEC and IRS regulations involving registered investment advisors, agents, and independent contractors
- Navigated DBE, MBE and IRS regulations and structured financial support from corporations to minority owned companies
- April 28, 2020
Presentations & Events
- Triad Bank; St. Louis, MO, June 6, 2018