Are you confused about the differences in employment law in Illinois and Indiana? Join Jeff Risch and Suzanne Newcomb for an in-depth look at the similarities and differences between employment and labor laws in Illinois and Indiana and learn avoidance strategies for employee disputes and litigation.
This seminar will offer best practices and explanations of how to comply in both Illinois and Indiana. Attendees will receive sample policies to help business shape the procedures and practices necessary in order to be in compliance in both states.
Topics will include:
- Wage and Hour Issues
- PTO, vacation and leave entitlements (ie. IL VESSA, IN FMLA, IL sick leave laws and unpaid leave requirements)
- Employee terminations and at-will employment in each state
- Background checks in each state
- Union activities and related developments: right-to-work in Indiana
- Obligations after the employment relationship ends
- Employee handbooks and policies – highlighting the differences and finding common ground
- DOL/EEO/Civil Rights Agencies – compare and contrast the states’ enforcement agencies and their very different approaches
- Protecting trade secrets and enforcing non-compete agreements
- Dealing with guns and pot in the workplace
- And more