Litigation Associate (Full-Time - Chicago, IL)
SmithAmundsen LLC seeks a mid-level litigation associate to join the firm’s Construction Group in its Chicago office. Candidate must be licensed in Illinois and have a minimum of 4 years of civil litigation experience. A strong work ethic and ability to work well on a team are also required. The ideal candidate will have a strong desire to continue to grow in a litigation environment. You will be involved in all aspects of litigation in federal and state court. Experience with navigating the relationship between insureds and insurers is preferred. Please submit a cover letter, resume, law school transcript and 2 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to Job No. CHI21C in your cover letter.
Litigation Attorney (Full-time - Chicago, IL)
SmithAmundsen LLC seeks a senior-level construction/commercial litigation attorney to join the firm’s Construction Group in its Chicago office. Candidate must be licensed in Illinois and have a minimum of 5 years of civil litigation experience in federal and state court. A strong work ethic and ability to work well on a team are also required. Mechanics’ lien experience is strongly preferred. Please submit a cover letter, resume, law school transcript and 2 writing samples to email@example.com. Please refer to Job No. CHI21H in your cover letter.
Transaction Associate – Commercial (Full-Time – St. Louis, MO)
The St. Louis office of SmithAmundsen is seeking an associate with a minimum 2 years of experience in transactional work, preferably in corporate and real estate. Experience with drafting corporate agreements, reviewing title, and preparing real estate documents is strongly preferred. Experience or interest in public financing in real estate development would be a plus. Candidate must be licensed in Missouri and have outstanding organizational skills, high attention to detail, a desire to learn and grow – and a team player attitude. The ideal candidate will be self-motivated and able to handle numerous matters. Please submit a cover letter, resume, and law school transcript to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to Job No. STL21COM2 in your cover letter.
Litigation Associate – Commercial Litigation/Insurance Defense (Full-Time – Milwaukee, WI)
SmithAmundsen LLC seeks a Litigation Associate attorney to join the firm’s Milwaukee office. Candidate must be licensed in Wisconsin and have a minimum of 3 years of experience in civil litigation. Litigation background with experience in conducting discovery (including depositions), presenting oral arguments, legal research and brief writing are a must. Strong analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work well on a team are also required. Some trial and appellate experience is preferred. Please submit a cover letter, resume, law school transcript and 2 writing samples to email@example.com. Please refer to Job No. MIL21A3 in your cover letter.
Litigation Associate – Medical Malpractice (Full-Time - Chicago, IL)
SmithAmundsen LLC seeks a litigation associate to join its established Health Care practice group located in Chicago for defense trial practice representing hospitals and medical professionals in professional liability/medical malpractice lawsuits. Applicant must have a minimum of 3 years of medical malpractice litigation experience. Excellent skills in written and oral communication, legal and factual analysis, negotiation and advocacy, are expected. Some local travel required. Responsibilities will include taking and defending depositions, conducting written discovery and research, drafting pleadings and motions, as well as participating in trial preparation and representing clients in court. Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and 2 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to Job No. CHI21HC in your cover letter.
Of Counsel Attorney (no billable requirement) (Milwaukee, WI)
SmithAmundsen seeks a litigation attorney to join its Milwaukee office. This position is for an attorney who does not want to be saddled with billable hour requirements or business development obligations. The ideal candidate has at least 4 years of civil litigation experience, including handling litigation on behalf of insureds, ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team. This attorney will be dedicated to one or two institutional, high-volume clients of the firm. Wisconsin bar admission required. Flexible hybrid work-from-home option is available. Qualified candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and 2 writing samples to email@example.com. Please refer to Job No. MIL21A in your cover letter.
Litigation Associate (Full-Time - Chicago, IL)
SmithAmundsen LLC seeks a mid-level litigation associate to join the firm’s Chicago office. Candidate must be licensed in Illinois (and Indiana, preferred) and have a minimum of 2 years of experience in civil litigation. General responsibilities include: representing clients in all aspects of litigation including court hearings and conferences, performing all aspects of oral and written discovery; conducting extensive legal research; drafting pleadings, motions, memoranda of law, client reports, affidavits, engaging in active motion practice in both state and federal court, including drafting motions for summary judgment, and motions to dismiss; and conducting fact investigation/development. Strong analytical abilities, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work well on a team are required. Please submit a cover letter, resume, law school transcript and 2 writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please refer to Job No. CHI21L in your cover letter.
Patent Prosecution Attorney (Full-Time - Milwaukee is preferred, Chicago is possible)
SmithAmundsen seeks an attorney with a minimum of 5 years of experience in the patent preparation and prosecution area for its Intellectual Property practice. Candidates must be currently licensed to practice law in the State of Wisconsin and/or the State of Illinois, and also must be registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Successful candidates will be detail-oriented, organized, possess a solid work ethic, and have strong academic credentials. The attorney hired for this position will work directly on patent preparation and prosecution matters, including new patent applications, responding to U.S. Patent Office actions, and directing non-U.S. associates in regard to non-U.S. patent matters. Responsibilities may also include patent-related counseling, opinions, agreements, and providing support in regard to patent litigation matters or matters involving the Patent Trial and Appeal Board. Candidates who have a background in or technical expertise relating to Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Software, Computer Science, or Physics, are preferred. Some portable business is also preferred. Please submit a cover letter, resume, law school transcript and 2 writing samples to email@example.com. Please refer to Job No. MIL21A2 in your cover letter.
Litigation Docket Supervisor (Full-Time, Chicago, IL)
The objective of this position is to develop, maintain, processes and procedures in support of the firm’s docketing goals, policies, and protocols to establish efficiency, minimize the risk of missed deadlines and ensure quality. Responsible for managing the daily activities of the firm’s Litigation Docket and Court Services. Collaborates and communicates with various groups of firm leadership, attorneys and support staff. Maintains professionalism and strict confidentiality in all client and firm matters.
See job post here
Business Development Specialist (Full-Time - Chicago, IL)
SmithAmundsen is seeking a Business Development Specialist to support the expansion of business from the firm’s existing client base and position the firm, trial groups, and lawyers to secure new clients for the firm, generate incremental revenue, and build a business development culture in the firm. Resumes can be sent to HR@salawus.com.
- Achieving fluency in our client base and supporting efforts to identify, pursue, and attain new business from new and existing clients
- Helps develop, implement, and manage the firm’s business development and client services plans consistent with firm strategies, goals, policies, and procedures.
- Tracks participation and progress and encourages tailored business development approaches for each attorney.
- Uses metrics to demonstrate the firm’s comparative advantages with regard to cycle times, cost per matter, actual costs vs. budgeted, favorable outcomes, and value. Educates the firm’s attorneys in this regard.
- Track and measure outcomes on projects, outcomes, and ongoing activities based on the plans and budgets.
- Collaborates with outside organizations to advance the profile raising efforts of our offices and practices for maximum effectiveness of our memberships and associations
- Handles responses to RFPs, and pitch, presentation, and other opportunities via the development of written proposal and presentation materials for assigned department(s), practice(s), client team(s) and/or industry group(s), and liaise with others as directed
- Ensuring marketing collateral is representative of the practice
- Executing monthly report tracking and analysis
- Assisting with practice-specific business training needs
- Lead or assist other marketing and business development projects as needed
- Other duties may be assigned to fully meet the requirements of the position
- A solid understanding of marketing and business development principles and concepts in a law firm environment.
- Strong project management skills and a proven ability to assist with and execute strategic plans. Excellent organizational skills and demonstrated ability to perform a variety of complex and diverse tasks involving independent judgment, critical thinking skills, leadership of projects and implementation of decisions.
- Able to set goals and develop, interpret, and report on metrics that measure success and performance.
- Client-focused (internal and external clients) and possess the ability to handle sensitive issues in a personable, tactful, and organized manner to ensure collaboration and coordination among practice areas, offices and administrative departments.
- Maturity and seasoning that engenders respect and trust from others. Good judgment, professionalism, strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative style.
- Ability to work in a professional and collegial manner.
- Autonomous, able to tolerate ambiguity, self-motivated. Flexibility to work in a varying role.
- Strong written and oral communications skills, and must be able to convey ideas in a manner that is convincing to others.
- Strong work ethic and flexibility to meet the demands of the position.
- 4 + years of related experience and/or training in a law firm
An individual is considered an ‘Applicant’ when these criteria are met:
- The individual submits an expression of interest in employment at SmithAmundsen LLC through completing their employment application for a specific position;
- The individual’s expression of interest indicates the individual possesses the basic qualifications for the position; and,
- The individual at no point in the selection process, prior to receiving an offer of employment from SmithAmundsen LLC, removes himself or herself from further consideration, or otherwise indicates that he or she is no longer interested in the position.