Harvard Law School, J.D., 1975, cum laude
Augustana College, B.A., 1971, magna cum laude
For more than 40 years, Bill practiced law with a driven, “cut to the chase” approach to solving problems. As an arbitrator, he takes the same approach and is motivated to help each side reach a desirable resolution out of court. Bill currently serves as an American Arbitration Association panelist for employee benefit matters.
In Bill’s former legal practice he counseled public and private companies in employee benefits and executive compensation matters. Some would say he has an encyclopedic knowledge of executive compensation plans. His extensive experience includes the defense of ERISA lawsuits, including class action benefit and fiduciary breach claims, due diligence of merger and acquisition transactions and benefit implications of bankruptcies and workouts. He also counseled large pension plans and investment managers in investments by ERISA plans and in funded welfare benefit plans.
- Elected as a Fellow to the American College of Employee Benefits Counsel
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Employment Benefits (ERISA) Law: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Memberships & Involvement
- Board of Directors: American Benefits Council
- U.S. Department of Labor: Chair, 2008; Vice Chair, 2007; Advisory Council on Employee Welfare Pension Benefit Plans, 2006-2008
News & Press Releases
- August 19, 2021
- January 29, 2021
- August 20, 2020
- January 29, 2020
- August 15, 2019
- January 24, 2019
- August 15, 2018
- November 1, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- March 9, 2017
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
Presentations & Events
- SmithAmundsen Seminar, Chicago, IL; Webinar, August 3, 2017