Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1989
Marquette University, B.A., 1986
Tim Fagan is the lawyer you want on your side when facing precarious litigation. He was once retained in a case after his client came up against expensive litigation because of an improper ruling of the court. Tim took over the case and was able to remove the prior erroneous ruling and limit his client’s exposure to a minimal amount.
Tim has been a litigator for more than 30 years, serving clients in the areas of professional liability and commercial litigation. His professional liability experience includes matters such as toxic and mass torts arising from latent manifestation of bodily injury or property damage; errors and omissions; construction defects; and extra-contractual liabilities.
As the chair of SmithAmundsen’s internal insurance coverage peer review committee, Tim provides guidance and advice to all coverage attorneys in the firm. He handles litigation involving respective obligations between primary and excess insurers as well as construction defect coverage. He also assists clients with allocation for losses for reinsurance.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Selected by the Leading Lawyers Network as a "Leading Lawyer" in insurance coverage and reinsurance, professional malpractice defense including legal/technical/financial
Memberships & Involvement
- Past Member: SmithAmundsen Executive Committee, 2005-2010
- Member: Defense Research Institute; Professional Liability Underwriting Society; American Bar Association; Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Appointed national coordinating counsel for coverage litigation involving "master" utility insurance contracts for a major general liability insurer
- Appointed coordinating counsel for coverage litigation involving manufactured gas plant sites for a major general liability insurer
News & Press Releases
- January 29, 2020
- January 24, 2019
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- 30 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- January 12, 2015
- January 3, 2013