University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 1999
University of Notre Dame, B.S.M.E., 1996, cum laude
U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Tom counsels clients on the strategic protection, licensing and enforcement of intellectual property rights both domestically and abroad. His experience includes preparing and prosecuting many U.S. and international patent applications and securing patent rights for clients in relation to a wide variety of technologies, including engine, construction, printing, commercial and residential heating and cooling, and computer-related technologies. Tom has supervised and conducted intellectual property due diligence investigations for corporate mergers, acquisitions and refinancings. He also drafts and negotiates patent license, nondisclosure and joint development agreements.
As a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group, Tom represents clients in a range of industries, including transportation, commercial and residential kitchen and washroom, technologies, and industrial manufacturing. Tom leads and enjoys participating in patent review committees charged with strategically evaluating inventions for possible patent prosecution. He advises clients on policing and protecting copyright, trade dress, trade secret and trademark rights. Tom is active in the Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association (WIPLA) and the Wisconsin Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (WAMIC), presenting to members regarding developments with Insurance Data Security Model Law.
Memberships & Involvement
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Patent Law: 2020
- Member: Wisconsin Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (WAMIC); Wisconsin State Bar, Past Member of the Intellectual Property Law Section Board; Knights of Columbus, 4th Degree Member
- Past President: Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association, 2005-2006
- Past Co-Chair: Licensing Executive Society International, Wisconsin Chapter
- Represented a Fortune 500 automotive parts manufacturer in patent counseling and litigation
- Manages the intellectual property portfolio for a manufacturer of commercial washroom hardware and sanitary technologies
- Managed the domestic and international patent portfolio of a national scaffolding manufacturer
News & Press Releases
Presentations & Events
- Startup Week; Beloit, WI, November 11, 2019