The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1987
College of the Holy Cross, B.A., 1980
Supreme Court of the United States
After 33 years as a trial lawyer, Tom Lyman still gets a thrill out of giving the closing argument. The first time he stepped into a courtroom was to observe a trial at Daley Center in Chicago. He knew immediately he wanted to be a lawyer. Since then there have been a number of memorable moments in court, including a $0 defense verdict for his client in a hand amputation case where the plaintiff asked for $3.4 million, as well as a settlement for $220,000 at the close of a trial in a toxic tort lead paint case where the plaintiff’s attorney asked the jury to award $44 million for the injuries. Tom still enjoys listening to (and learning from) the jury's comments after his trials about their thought process and the reasoning of their decisions.
Tom defends clients facing various litigation matters, such as personal injury and property damage in trucking accidents, construction accidents, construction defects, toxic torts, Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), nursing homes and assisted living facilities, automobile litigation, product liability, professional liability, premises-related litigation and commercial litigation. He also handles cases involving discrimination, false arrest, and malicious prosecution. Tom manages the case from start to the conclusion, either by trial or a successful settlement.
In addition to his legal practice, Tom is involved with Gilda’s Club of Chicago, a national cancer support organization. He speaks to medical students at local hospitals on the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Illinois State Bar Association; Illinois Defense Trial Counsel; Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS); American Bar Association; Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- Member: Holy Cross Lawyers Association
- Co-Chair: SmithAmundsen’s Trial Evaluation Committee
- Instructor: SmithAmundsen Trial Academy and weekly training seminars for new SmithAmundsen attorneys
- Obtained a defense verdict at a 3 week trial in favor of a homeowner who owned a miter saw. The plaintiff severed his left hand from his arm while using the miter saw. The plaintiff claimed the plastic guard was sticking and claimed the homeowner failed to advise the plaintiff of this alleged issue.
- Obtained a summary judgement in favor of a large department store chain in a slip and fall on ice and snow in Federal Court in the Northern District of Illinois.
- Obtained a favorable trial verdict in a personal injury case for the driver of a tractor trailer after he rear-ended a car that was then pushed into the plaintiff’s car. Negligence was directed against the truck driver. The plaintiff asked for $4.9 million. After 5 days at trial and two hours of deliberations the jury awarded only $37,500 based upon the defendant’s contention that the plaintiff suffered a neck sprain/strain and that all other complaints of pain were unrelated to the accident.
News & Press Releases
- January 29, 2021
- January 29, 2020
- January 24, 2019
Presentations & Events
- "Doctor Depositions"Presented by Illinois Insitute For Continuing Legal Education (IILCE); Chicago, IL