University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., 2006, cum laude
University of Illinois Institute of Labor & Industrial Relations, M.H.R.I.R., 2005
University of Illinois, B.S., 2002
Steve is passionate about defending business owners who are committed to proactively implementing policies and procedures that minimize legal exposure and maximize potential for success. Through creative advocacy and thorough counseling, Steve has helped clients obtain favorable results to some of the most potentially devastating issues.
With more than 10 years of experience, Steve concentrates his practice exclusively in labor and employment law. His representations include claims involving discrimination and harassment; wage and hour; union grievances and unfair labor practice charges; and handbook and policy review. In his trial counsel and defense, Steve protects the interest of clients in the manufacturing, construction and trucking industries, as well as local government agencies.
In college, Steve was captivated by psychology courses that exposed him to federal employment discrimination statutes and resulting judicial opinions. He credits them for his desire to work with the law to persuade arbiters and adversaries on behalf of clients whose businesses he believes in.
Memberships & Involvement
- Kane County Bar Association: Labor & Employment Law Committee Co-Chair (2017-present)
- Member: Chicago Bar Association; Human Resource Association of Greater Oak Brook (SHRM); Chamber 630, Downers Grove-Woodridge Area Chamber of Commerce
- Unemployment Insurance Committee, Illinois Chamber of Commerce Employment Law Council
- Won dismissal of qui tam False Claims Act suit brought against client accused of improperly invoicing work performed
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal in federal court of Title VII and Section 1981 race discrimination claims in the immediate wake of the 7th Circuit’s Ortiz ruling
- Obtained summary judgment dismissal in favor of clients accused of tortiously causing a new business to suffer $20,000,000 + in "lost profits" by navigating and advancing arguments pursuant to Illinois' New Business Rule
- Won dismissal of same-sex hostile work environment and retaliation claims through argument that “romantic rival” claims are not cognizable under federal employment discrimination statutes
- Won motion to dismiss, which was upheld by the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals, of retaliatory discharge claim based on a former employee’s vague allegations that she was disciplined in violation of an unnamed federal law
- Won summary judgment in a case where the plaintiff claimed he suffered a hostile work environment due to sexual harassment and retaliation
- Obtained favorable settlement for client in potential class and collective action wage and hour lawsuit
News & Press Releases
- Cook County Record, November 8, 2018
- March 15, 2018
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2019
Presentations & Events
- COVID-19: Legal Implications for the Recruiting IndustrySociety of Talent Acquisition and Recruiting (STAR); Webcast, April 16, 2020
- COVID-19 and Its Impact on the WorkplaceChicagoland Veterinary Managers Group; Webcast, March 31, 2020
- Major Changes to Illinois Employment LawsEmployee Benefits Association of Northern Illinois (EBANI); Rockford, IL, December 4, 2019
- Significant Legislative and Case Law Developments in Employment LawKane County Bar Association Annual Employment & Labor Law Seminar, March 28, 2019
- Significant Developments in 7th Circuit Employment LawKane County Bar Association Annual Employment & Labor Law Seminar, May 23, 2018
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, December 13, 2017
- Significant Developments in Labor & Employment LawKane County Bar Association Annual Employment & Labor Law Seminar, May 24, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, April 25, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, Seminar; Chicago, IL, February 16, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, October 28, 2016
- SmithAmundsen Hosts University of Illinois College of Law Students for Their “Expedition to the Profession” DaySmithAmundsen, Seminar; Chicago, IL, October 6, 2016