Washington University St. Louis School of Law, J.D., 1997
Associate Editor, Journal of Urban and Contemporary Law
University of California-Irvine, B.A., 1994, cum laude
Rob has provided legal counsel in some the largest major development projects in St. Louis County and the City of St. Louis. These include tax increment financing involving more than 500 acres and projects worth more than $1 billion in investment.
As a member of the firm’s Real Estate Practice Group, Rob provides a realistic and practical assessment for clients in real estate development. He regularly assists with structuring real estate development incentives, public finance transactions and property tax appeals. Rob evaluates development projects for available public incentives, weighing the economic benefit of public incentives in relation to cost. He serves as an integral part of his clients’ public finance team, evaluating the financing structure and ensuring disclosure compliance. Rob is also experienced in evaluating real property taxes for potential tax savings.
One of Rob’s memorable victories happened in the Missouri Court of Appeals when he prevailed in a tax appeal case against a tax representative who had been hailed by a local newspaper for never losing. Today that case is one of the most cited Missouri State Tax Commission decisions and court opinions.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: The Missouri Bar Association; Missouri Economic Development Finance Association; National Association of Bond Lawyers; Hawthorn Foundation
- Negotiated financial structure and served as co-bond counsel in $18.55 million tax revenue bonds for a multiuse development project
- Negotiated and obtained Chapter 100 abatement for an international industrial testing and repair client that ultimately realized $500,000 in tax savings
- Received a favorable decision for a St. Louis client in a tax appeal that realized a $500,000 refund for the client
- Obtained Community Improvement District incentives for a client in the amount of $6 million
- Represented a governmental commission with regard to the largest tax increment financing district in St. Louis County
Negotiated and obtained Chapter 100 abatement for international industrial bearing and lubrication company that realized tax savings of over $400,000 per year for ten years
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, January 26, 2017
- January 20, 2017
Presentations & Events
- IML Annual Conference; Chicago, IL, September 20, 2019