Northern Illinois University College of Law, J.D., 2006, magna cum laude
Northern Illinois University, B.S., 2000
As a former human resources consultant that worked with a variety of businesses in different industries, Rebecca has a unique understanding of the legal landmines her clients face every day. Rebecca thoughtfully and skillfully provides management with advice and counsel in human resource matters, wage and hour issues, employee benefit compliance and employment litigation. When Rebecca advises on difficult matters relating to compliance with ERISA and the tax code, she is able to consolidate the complexities of compliance into understandable and practical advice and guidance.
While often the goal is to avoid litigation, it is also important to have an attorney that is willing to move forward with litigation when it becomes necessary. Rebecca has experience handling numerous matters before state and federal courts as well as administrative agencies in both Illinois and Wisconsin.
When she is not working she is actively participating in local events and fundraising efforts within her community in Wisconsin.
Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list of “Rising Stars”: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Memberships & Involvement
Member: Illinois State Bar Association; Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel; Wisconsin State Bar Association; National Society of Human Resource Management; American Benefits Council
Past President: Illinois Fox Valley Society of Human Resource Management
Past Board Member: Crossing Rivers Health Foundation
- Procured dismissal and successfully negotiated nuisance-value settlements in well over 100 employment discrimination claims in both state and federal agencies.
- Successfully represented clients towards favorable resolution in many U.S. DOL and IRS Audits as well as Multiemployer Pension and Welfare Funds audit and litigation.
- Procured dismissal of a class action lawsuit with zero settlement money paid after proving that the plaintiff did not meet the requirements of their employment agreement and therefore owed the defendant money.
- Prevailed in defending non-compete litigation in federal court after establishing that the agreement at issue violated the Wisconsin Uniform Trade Secrets Act.
Won summary judgment award in alter ego union case on behalf of construction industry employer.
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- 29 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- January 12, 2015
- January 3, 2013
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- December 22, 2020
- December 3, 2020
- August 31, 2020
- June 23, 2020
- June 5, 2020
- May 18, 2020
- April 17, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- March 24, 2020
- How Will An Employer’s Existing Paid Leave Policies Apply to The Families First Coronavirus Response Act Paid Leave MandatesMarch 19, 2020
- March 18, 2020
- March 15, 2020
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, March 2021
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2021
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2019
Presentations & Events
- Lorman, Webcast, September 1, 2021
- Handling Poor Employee Performance & Behavior in a Post-Pandemic Workforce without Inviting a LawsuitIndependent Pharmacy Cooperative; Webcast, June 16, 2021
- Lorman, Webcast, May 18, 2021
- Lorman Education Services; Webcast, May 5, 2021
- Wisconsin Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, Webcast, April 26, 2021
- SmithAmundsen, Webcast, April 14, 2021
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webcast, March 24, 2021
- SmithAmundsen, Webcast, March 23, 2021
- Sloan, Webcast, February 11, 2021
- SmithAmundsen, Webcast, February 4, 2021
- Lorman Education Services, Webcast, January 5, 2021
- SmithAmundsen, Webcast, September 23, 2020
- Lorman Education Services, Webcast, September 15, 2020
- Wisconsin Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, August 20, 2020
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Gurnee, IL 60031, August 12, 2020
- SmithAmundsen, Webcast, May 27, 2020
- The Chamber of Manitowoc County; Webcast, May 19, 2020
- Aurora Regional Chamber of Commerce, Webcast, May 8, 2020
- SmithAmundsen, Webcast, April 28, 2020
- Aurora Regional Chamber of Commerce, Webcast, April 15, 2020
- Associated Builders and Contractors of Illinois, Webcast, April 9, 2020
- COVID-19 Update on the FFCRA and CARESEmployee Benefits Association of Northern Illinois (EBANI), Webcast, April 9, 2020
- Illinois Manufacturers’ Association, Webcast, April 2, 2020
- Wisconsin Association of Mutual Insurance Companies, Webcast, March 31, 2020
- Presented by SmithAmundsen COVID-19 Task Force, March 18, 2020
- Lorman Education Services; Webcast, 2019
- SmithAmundsen; Lombard, IL, September 25, 2019
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Waukegan, IL, April 25, 2019
- Best Management of Your Workforce in the Midst of the Opioid Epidemic: Drug Testing, FMLA Abuse and ADA ObligationsSmithAmundsen, Webinar, April 17, 2019
- Clear Law Institute; Webinar, February 13, 2019
- Lorman Education Services, Webinar, January 11, 2019
- Lorman Education Services; Webinar, January 9, 2019
- SmithAmundsen, Milwaukee, WI; Webinar, September 12, 2018
- Lorman Education Services; Webinar, July 25, 2018
- Lorman Education Services, Webinar, June 27, 2018
- Lorman Education Services; Webinar, February 26, 2018