St. Mary's University School of Law, J.D., 1976
Saint Louis University, B.S., 1973
With decades of experience practicing labor and employment law, Patrick fully understands both the worker’s and the employer’s perspective. He put himself through college and law school working for a large construction and mining company, was labor counsel for a large coal mining company and, most recently, served as general counsel, vice president, and secretary for a large luxury automotive network.
Patrick assists clients facing labor and employment matters in arbitration and mediation. His broad experience includes collective bargaining negotiations, union organizational campaigns, wrongful discharge accusations, employment discrimination claims and the resolution of safety and health issues. He has been involved in the negotiation of national and regional collective bargaining agreements in the construction, transportation, mining and pipeline transportation industries.
He has negotiated multiple state and local contracts in various industries, including automotive, printing, construction, paper and graphic supply, environmental management, public warehouse, chemical, construction, and real estate management. His health and safety experience includes representing employers before the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and mining companies before the Mine Safety & Health Administration (MSHA).
Memberships & Involvement
- Memberships: The Missouri Bar; Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis; Association of Corporate Counsel, Labor & Employment Law Committee; National Automobile Dealers Association; Missouri Automobile Dealers Association
- American Bar Association: National Employer Co-chair, Labor & Employment Law Section; ADR, Labor & Employment Law Committee, 2006-2009
- Obtained defense verdict in a high profile race and sexual harassment case following an eight day trial
- Obtained arbitration award in favor of major city fire and ambulance authority following multi-day presentation successfully resisting a union’s claim seeking in excess of $3.8 million dollars based on a contractual language interpretation claim
- Successfully resolved secondary boycott picketing, strikes and related area standards campaigns through NLRB proceedings, Section 303 damage actions and arbitrations
- Successfully resolved an OSHA fatality case for an international distributor of agricultural service products
- Resolved an OSHA fatality case for a food processing company involving a crushing within an industrial food mixing and drying operation after a successful pre-hearing presentation
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen Organizes “Planting and Gardening” Day in St. Louis for Epworth Children and Family ServicesOctober 13, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, January 26, 2017
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, March 2021
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2019
- Elkouri & Elkouri: How Arbitration Works, 8th EditionBloomberg/BNA Books, 2016
- Elkouri & Elkouri: How Arbitration Works, 7th EditionBloomberg/BNA Books, 2012
- Discipline & Discharge in Arbitration, 2nd EditionBNA Books, 2009
Presentations & Events
- Employment Law 2018: Comprehensive Guide - Know Human Resource Best Practices to Ensure Employer Compliance and Mitigate Potential LiabilitiesNational Business Institute; Webinar; Collinsville, IL, February 21, 2018
- Compli; Webinar, November 15, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Edwardsville, IL, August 29, 2017
- Compli; Webinar, May 11, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, Webinar, April 19, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Seminar; Edwardsville, IL, April 12, 2017