IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 2005
University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S., 2002
The story aired on the local news - a truck driver with a family and children had been murdered on the side of the Dan Ryan Expressway in downtown Chicago in a case of road rage gone wrong. The criminal case was long over by the time the civil wrongful death action was filed. Hired to represent the trucking company responsible for employing the man who killed the trucker, Michelle fought hard, but fair, for her client. After nearly 20 depositions, including one at a maximum-security prison of the man convicted of the murder, Michelle successfully argued for summary judgment for her client – and she won. In one of the toughest jurisdictions in Illinois, Michelle convinced the trial judge to throw out the case against the trucking company.
For more than 10 years, Michelle has brought this tenacity and dedication to each case and every client. She prides herself on finding creative opportunities to resolve cases and works to avoid costly and lengthy litigation. But, when litigation is imminent, Michelle is strong to push her opponents while always maintaining the utmost integrity and honesty in the profession. Michelle practices from Columbus, Ohio and serves as lead litigator for many of the firm’s clients in Ohio and Indiana. She regularly counsels on matters pertaining to business, insurance and construction litigation, property damage, construction defects, corporate law, and complex negligence issues. She also works comfortably with civil practice and procedure cases, including catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death cases, slip and fall accidents and property damage. In addition to her work in Indiana and Ohio, Michelle handles a number of cases for Illinois clients involving a variety of issues, from construction negligence to automobile litigation.
Michelle is an active member of the National Association of Women Business Owners (Columbus Chapter) and regularly works with leading Columbus business leaders to help propel women entrepreneurs into economic, social and political spheres of influence. Michelle is also an avid runner, having completed several marathons and half-marathons. She lives in Columbus, Ohio, with her husband and two young children.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
Memberships & Involvement
- Ohio Memberships: National Association of Women Business Owners – Columbus Chapter; Ohio Association of Civil Trial Attorneys; Columbus Bar Association; Americans Inns of Court - Columbus; Women Lawyers of Franklin County
- Illinois Memberships: Illinois State Bar Association; Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel; Women’s Bar Association of Illinois
- Indiana Memberships: Indiana State Bar Association; Lake County Indiana Bar Association
- Appointments: Vice President of Programming for NAWBO - Columbus Chapter (2016- present); Member of Programming Committee for NAWBO – Columbus Chapter (2014 – 2016); Member of Communications Committee for NAWBO – Columbus Chapter (2014 – 2016); Vice Chair of Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel - Young Lawyers (2011- 2012); Civil Practice & Procedure (2010-2012)
News & Press Releases
- January 24, 2019
- National Association of Women Business Owners Columbus Names Michelle Casper as 2016 Member of the YearNational Association of Women Business Owners (NAWBO), February 24, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- April 7, 2016
- 30 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- Michelle Casper Featured in an Interview with Columbus BizTV on the National Association of Women Business OwnersColumbus BizTV, December 21, 2015
- March 17, 2015
- January 12, 2015
Presentations & Events
- UIM and TBI ClaimsClient Presentation; Chicago, IL, September 7, 2017