Northern Illinois University College of Law, J.D., 2006
University of Illinois B.A., 2003
As a management-side labor and employment law attorney, Mike’s passion is coming up with efficient and common sense solutions so that business owners can focus on their passion, their business. Every day Mike strives to provide aggressive and responsible representation to his clients that range in size and industry.
Mike advises and represents clients on employment law issues and lawsuits, including discrimination and harassment, ADA disability issues and accommodations, FMLA administration and claims, recreational and medical cannabis issues in the workplace, drug testing and reasonable suspicion, employee handbook and policy issues, wage and hour issues, class actions, employment contract disputes, unfair competition and trade secrets, and other labor and employment issues arising under state, federal and administrative laws.
Mike is skilled in helping clients address a multitude of different problems and issues through common sense advice, helping review and revise policies and procedures, providing management and employee training, conducting investigations as a neutral third party investigator and litigating cases and claims.
One could say that being a lawyer is in his blood, as Mike followed the footsteps of his mother and uncle into the profession. Mike got an early introduction to the practice of law in his mother’s law firm as a kid first organizing and moving files, then helping with clients and filing, and when in law school drafting pleadings and attending hearings. After becoming an attorney, Mike started practicing at her law firm in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, before working for two boutique firms in Chicago, where he specialized in defending excessive force claims, contract disputes, civil litigation, class actions and employment law matters. He enjoys problem solving and is dedicated to finding unique answers to clients’ problems in order to give them the best result.
When he is not working, Mike enjoys spending time with his wife and two sons, coaching baseball, playing soccer and fishing. He is also involved locally as a Board Member of the Elgin Area Chamber of Commerce and the AMITA Health St. Joseph Hospital Foundation Board, a philanthropic organization that supports AMITA Health Hospitals.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: AMITA Health Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation Board (2012–Present); Secretary (2014–Present); Illinois Fox Valley Society for Human Resource Management (IL Fox Valley SHRM); Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM); Transportation Lawyers Association (TLA); National Association of College Attorneys (NACUA); American Bar Association
- Board Of Directors: Elgin Area Chamber of Commerce
- Kane County Bar Association: Labor & Employment Law Committee Chair (2014–Present); Bar Briefs, Editorial Board member (2013–Present); Bar Briefs Editor (2015–2016)
- Illinois State Bar Association: Young Lawyers Division (2008–2014); Solo & Small Firm Conference Planning Committee (2009)
- Obtained a motion to dismiss for a municipality facing claims of breach of contract and violating the insurance code, federal equal protection clause and Illinois Constitution pension protection clause relating to its health insurance for employees and retirees, and successfully defended the municipality on appeal leading to plaintiffs voluntarily dismissing the remaining federal equal protection clause claim
- Obtained a motion to dismiss for a restaurant facing claims of misclassification and unpaid overtime, wages and expenses relating to its delivery drivers
- Obtained a motion to dismiss for a restaurant facing claims of misclassification and unpaid wages relating to its chef
- Obtained numerous dismissals and unsubstantiated findings by the IDHR and EEOC relating to charges of discrimination.
- Successfully defended Illinois Department of Labor complaint for wages by truck owner-operator based upon claim of misclassification.
- Obtained an order of protection for an employer against a former employee and related individuals to protect its current employees from violence
News & Press Releases
- Agenda, August 17, 2020
- Cook County Record, February 14, 2019
- Chicago Tribune, November 4, 2016
- March 10, 2016
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- July 24, 2020
- May 8, 2020
- March 27, 2020
- FMCSA Drug and Alcohol Clearinghouse Rule Deadline – Employers of DOT regulated employees have you registered yet?December 30, 2019
- November 5, 2018
- February 2, 2018
- USLAW Magazine, March 25, 2020
- Illinois Manufacturer Magazine, January 2020
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2019
- Illinois State Bar Association Diversity Matters Newsletter , June 2017
- Illinois Municipal League Review, April 2017
- iPads, Smartphones, and Laptops Oh My!! How the Digital World Makes Us Both More Concealed and More ExposedUSLAW Magazine, Spring 2017
Presentations & Events
- The Chicago Association of Spring Manufacturers; Schaumburg, IL, November 12, 2020
- September 23, 2020
- St. Charles Chamber Education Committee & Elgin Area Chamber; Virtual Symposium, August 18, 2020
- Elgin Area Chamber of Commerce, June 11, 2020
- Illinois Manufacturers' Association; Webinar, April 23, 2020
- Elgin Area Chamber, Seminar; Elgin, IL, February 26, 2020
- SmithAmundsen, Chicago, IL; Webinar, February 20, 2020
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Glen Ellyn, IL, February 19, 2020
- IL Chamber of Commerce New Laws Forum; Lisle, IL, December 4, 2019
- Elgin Area Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, November 12, 2019
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Decatur, IL 62521, October 16, 2019
- Industry Hot Topics:The Latest Trends in Compensation, Incentives and the Impact of the Legalization of Cannabis in the WorkplaceIllinois Manufacturers' Association; Champaign, IL, September 18, 2019
- SmithAmundsen, Webinar, August 21, 2019
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Glen Ellyn, IL, August 20, 2019
- Illinois Fox Valley SHRM; Elgin, IL, April 18, 2019
- Lorman Education Services; Webinar, March 26, 2019
- Lorman Education Services, Seminar; Chicago, IL, February 21, 2019
- SmithAmundsen Seminar, Chicago, IL; Webinar, June 13, 2018
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, August 8, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Glen Ellyn, IL, May 31, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, Seminar; Chicago, IL, May 11, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, May 11, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, February 8, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, December 8, 2016
- National Business Institute, Seminar; Rockford, IL, December 7, 2016
- Harry Caray's, Lombard, IL, September 28, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, September 28, 2016
- Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, September 22, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, September 15, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, July 26, 2016
- Elgin Area Chamber, Elgin, June 29, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Bolingbrook, IL, March 30, 2016
- FLMA, ADA, Military and Other Leave IssuesIllinois Chamber of Commerce, Bolingbrook, IL, April 1, 2015
- Employers Forced to Hire Convicts? What Employers Must Now Know With Ban the BoxIllinois Chamber of Commerce, March 24, 2015