Northern Illinois University College of Law, J.D., 2006
University of Illinois B.A., 2003
The changing of laws and introduction of new laws makes it difficult for employers to understand their responsibilities and avoid legal pitfalls. Mike is able to guide employers and help them avoid potential problems.
Mike advises and represents clients in matters relating to discrimination and harassment issues and lawsuits under Title VII, disability issues under the ADA, FMLA claims, wage and hour issues, class actions, employee handbook and policy issues, medical marijuana in the workplace, and other labor and employment issues arising under state, federal and administrative laws. His minor in information technology is particularly helpful in understanding how technology systems impact employers and businesses.
Mike truly enjoys the practice of law. He got an early introduction to the profession by helping out at his mother’s law firm when he was growing up. Mike then started his practice out at her law firm, before working for two boutique firms in Chicago, where he specialized in contract disputes, civil litigation, class actions and employment law matters. He enjoys problem solving and is dedicated to finding unique answers to clients’ problems in order to give them the best result.
When he is not working, Mike enjoys spending time with his young sons, playing soccer and fishing. He is also on the Presence St. Joseph Hospital Foundation Board, a philanthropic organization that supports Presence Health Hospitals.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Presence Saint Joseph Hospital Foundation Board, (2012 – Present), Secretary (2014 – Present); Northwest Human Resources Council; American Bar Association
- Board of Directors: Elgin Area Chamber of Commerce
- Kane County Bar Association: Labor & Employment Law Committee member (2012 – Present); Labor & Employment Law Committee Chair, (2014 – Present); Bar Briefs, Editorial Board member (2013 – Present); Bar Briefs Editor (2015-2016)
- Illinois State Bar Association: Young Lawyers Division (2008 – 2014); Solo & Small Firm Conference Planning Committee (2009)
News & Press Releases
- Cook County Record, February 14, 2019
- Chicago Tribune, November 4, 2016
- March 10, 2016
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- November 5, 2018
- February 2, 2018
- U.S. Attorney's Office to Survey and Inspect Chicago Area Restaurants for Compliance with Americans with Disabilities ActNovember 24, 2015
- Illinois State Bar Association Diversity Matters Newsletter , June 2017
- Illinois Municipal League Review, April 2017
- iPads, Smartphones, and Laptops Oh My!! How the Digital World Makes Us Both More Concealed and More ExposedUSLAW Magazine, Spring 2017
Presentations & Events
- Illinois Fox Valley SHRM; Elgin, IL, April 18, 2019
- Lorman Education Services; Webinar, March 26, 2019
- Lorman Education Services, Seminar; Chicago, IL, February 21, 2019
- SmithAmundsen Seminar, Chicago, IL; Webinar, June 13, 2018
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, August 8, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Glen Ellyn, IL, May 31, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, Seminar; Chicago, IL, May 11, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, May 11, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, February 8, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, December 8, 2016
- National Business Institute, Seminar; Rockford, IL, December 7, 2016
- Harry Caray's, Lombard, IL, September 28, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, September 28, 2016
- Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, September 22, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, September 15, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, July 26, 2016
- Elgin Area Chamber, Elgin, June 29, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Bolingbrook, IL, March 30, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, September 17, 2015
- SmithAmundsen, Webinar, August 6, 2015
- Kane County Bar Association, Geneva, IL, May 21, 2015
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, May 13, 2015
- FLMA, ADA, Military and Other Leave IssuesIllinois Chamber of Commerce, Bolingbrook, IL, April 1, 2015
- Employers Forced to Hire Convicts? What Employers Must Now Know With Ban the BoxIllinois Chamber of Commerce, March 24, 2015
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, March 17, 2015