The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 2002
University of Illinois, B.S., 1998
Certified Public Accountant, Illinois
Michael’s background as a CPA allows him to approach legal problems from a business perspective. His clients appreciate his ability to listen to their issues and understand their goals.
As a member of the firm’s Labor & Employment Practice Group, Michael represents corporate clients in connection with enforcement of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements and protection of their trade secrets, proprietary information, customer relationships, investments in talent and other valuable assets. He handles general employment and discrimination cases, commercial business disputes, higher education and regulatory actions. In addition, he has experience handling general commercial disputes, breach of contract and business torts.
Michael has worked closely with the Chicago Legal Aid Clinic since 2005, serving as Board Treasurer of the Pro Bono Advocates.
Memberships & Involvement
Member: American Bar Association; Chicago Bar Association; Illinois State Bar Association; Appellate Lawyers Association
Board Treasurer: Pro Bono Advocates, Legal Aid Clinic, 2005 - Present
- Successfully represented design professionals in compliance actions brought by the U.S. Department of Justice under the American with Disabilities Act
- Obtained a $2 million judgment against an insurer in a declaratory judgment action
- Obtained a $4.5 million arbitration award on behalf of a financial services firm accused of hiring financial advisors under false pretenses
- Obtained a $1.2 million arbitration award on behalf of a financial services firm after a financial advisor was accused of taking confidential account information before leaving the company
- Represented professional engineering and architecture societies as amici counsel in connection with amicus curiae briefs submitted to the Illinois Supreme Court that set standards for professional licensing of testifying experts in Illinois trial courts and established limits for negligence actions against licensed professionals
- Successfully defended an international shipping company in connection with the civil defense of 12 wrongful death and 8 personal injury claims arising from a multi-vehicle accident that resulted in the Illinois Supreme Court issuing a highly cited opinion interpreting the scope of indemnification clauses
- Acted as appellate counsel for an Illinois community college in a case before the Illinois Appellate Court that affirmed summary judgment based on the Tort Immunity Act
News & Press Releases
- Cook County Record, May 16, 2019
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, 2019