The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 2007
Northern Illinois University, B.S., Accountancy, 2003
Northern Illinois University, B.S., Computer Science, 2003
Certified Public Accountant, Illinois
Larry began his career as a CPA in the corporate tax group at one of the largest CPA firms in the world. He knows that sometimes the most logical legal decisions are not the right business decisions. His technical knowledge in accounting and tax allows him to see all problems not just from a legal perspective, but from a business and tax perspective as well.
Tax law is constantly changing and Larry’s clients appreciate his proactive approach. When serving clients he always asks, "How do we protect today, against the unknowns of tomorrow?"
As a member of the firm's Estate & Business Planning Practice Group, Larry works with closely held business owners and high net worth individuals to create business succession and estate plans that leverage tax minimization and asset protection strategies. He counsels on trust administration issues, asset protection issues and inefficient business structures for tax and liability protection.
In addition to providing comprehensive estate planning, Larry also regularly assists business clients with corporate governance, entity restructuring for tax efficiency and liability protection, mergers and acquisitions, tax-free reorganizations, recapitalizations, letter ruling requests, commercial contracts, and risk management.
Larry is often called upon to represent fiduciaries in the administration of complex estates and trusts with business assets or unique tax considerations. Larry assists fiduciaries in the proper and efficient administration of such estates, while seeking to limit fiduciary liability wherever possible. Larry also counsels fiduciaries and beneficiaries on the various (and always evolving) judicial and non-judicial methods of trust modification for tax minimization and asset protection.
Larry is frequently asked to write and speak on the topics of business and tax law, especially in relation to estate planning and estate administration. Larry has written or spoken for the National Business Institute, Illinois State Bar Association, DuPage County Bar Association and the Lake County Bar Association.
Larry, a native of Libertyville, Illinois, recently returned to his hometown with his wife and two boys. When not at work, Larry can be seen trying to impersonate a real golfer or playing the classical guitar.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA); Illinois CPA Society (ICPAS); Lake County Bar Association; Wealth Counsel, LLC; Trusted Advisors Council - O'Hare Chapter; Wealth Counsel, Illinois Forum of Estate Planning Attorneys; Beacon & Bridge Institute, Inc.
- Past Chair: Tax Law Committee, DuPage County Bar Association
- Use it or lose it: The IRS Proposed Regulations Will Not Clawback Sunsetting Exemption AmountsIllinois State Bar Assocaition Newsletter , 2019
- ISBA Estate Planning Newsletter, July 30, 2019
- Estate Tax Account Transcript Now Formally Recognized as a Substitute for an Estate Closing LetterIllinois State Bar Assocaition Newsletter, 2017
Presentations & Events
- Fixing Broken Trusts: Decanting, Mergers and Nonjudicial Settlement AgreementsWinnebago County Bar Association Annual Estate Planning Seminar, 2019
- Top Five (or So) Things Every Probate and Trust Attorney Should Know About Fiduciary Income TaxesLake County Bar Association; Seminar, 2019
- Trust Administration of Business EntitiesLake County Bar Association; Seminar, 2018
- Wills and Powers of AttorneySeminar, 2018
- The Future of Estate Planning for Financial AdvisorsSeminar, 2017
- Probate Process from Start to Finish: Understanding IntestacyNational Business Institute; Seminar, 2015
- Income Tax Planning for the Divorcing ClientDuPage County Bar Association; Seminar, 2015
- Estate Planning and Administration: Trust TaxesNational Business Institute; Seminar, 2015