Loyola University Law School, J.D.,1972
Loyola University, B.A., 1969
Federal Judicial Clerkship, Honorable William J. Lynch, of the United States District Court, N. D. of Illinois (1972-1974)
Ken has experience in all fields of litigation, dispute resolution, and corporate investigation. As a federal trial lawyer, he argued a landmark case in the United States Supreme Court and has argued cases in the United States Court of Appeals for numerous circuits. He has also argued cases in the Illinois Supreme Court and numerous state appellate courts. Ken has tried over 125 jury trials to verdict in federal and state court. He currently serves as Of Counsel at SmithAmundsen.
On behalf of public and private clients, Ken’s current practice focuses on complex civil and criminal matters involving government investigations, health care fraud, insider trading, white collar criminal defense, maritime claims, and regulatory compliance. With over forty-five years of experience in government investigations, Ken has a big-picture perspective that enables him to advise clients on strategies to stay ahead of the risks they face. He provides an objective assessment of the severity of potential violations and the likely response from government investigators and prosecutors.
Criminal defense: As a criminal defense attorney, Ken has successfully handled sensitive and complex government investigations including cases involving RICO, healthcare fraud and abuse, Anti-Trust, public corruption, bank fraud, money laundering, and mail and wire fraud. He has also achieved positive results in defending clients in high profile investigations and cases involving insider trading fraud, securities violations, tax fraud, official misconduct, violations of the Environmental Protection Act, embezzlement, obstruction of justice, perjury, and extortion.
Civil litigation: Ken has extensive experience litigating complex cases involving medical negligence claims, attorney malpractice claims, psychiatric malpractice claims, products liability, insurance disputes, and maritime claims. He has also successfully represented attorneys before the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission.
Ken is on the faculty of the Illinois Professional Responsibility Institute of the Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission of the Supreme Court of Illinois. Ken is also an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association. He has taught comparative trial advocacy to Irish barristers at The King’s Inn and transnational legal negotiations to Irish solicitors at the Incorporated Law Society in Dublin, Ireland.
Ken was Associate Director for The Center for Advocacy and an Adjunct Professor of Law at The John Marshall Law School, where he taught various trial, arbitration and counseling, and negotiation classes. He taught classes for the National Institute of Trial Advocacy and has lectured on trial, appellate practice and dispute resolution at numerous law schools and bar associations. He has been elected to the Defender Service Advisory Group for the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts. Ken has been reappointed to the National Criminal Justice Act Panel as a Representative for the Northern District of Illinois for a three year term.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list: 2005, 2006, 2008, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
Memberships & Involvement
- Chicago Bar Association: Past Member of the Board of Managers, Past Chairman, Tax Exempt Division of the Federal Tax Committee
- Member: National Criminal Justice Panel (Representative for the Northern District of Illinois); Defender Service Advisory Group for the Administrative Office of the U.S. Courts
- Honorary Board Member: First Defense Legal Aid
- Arbitrator: American Arbitration Association
- Director: The International Institute for Animal Law
- General Counsel: National Anti-Vivisection Society
- General Counsel: International Foundation for Ethical Research
- Sauganash Community Association:Past President, Board Member
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, January 25, 2018
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- 36 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
Presentations & Events
- Detention Issues: Alternatives to Detention, Conditions of DetentionCommittee of Defender Services and Defender Services Advisory Group, April 8, 2015