University of Notre Dame, J.D., 2004
Illinois Wesleyan University, B.A., 2001
Ken has protected the interests of clients in the legal, architecture, engineering, insurance, real estate, and construction industries for more than 10 years and has tried more than 10 cases to verdict. Ken’s practice primarily involves civil litigation, typically focusing on the defense of professionals.
As co-chair of the firm’s Professional Liability Group, Ken represents clients in many different professions and industries, including those involved in the practice of law, insurance, real estate, those in the construction industry and those involved in the property preservation industry. In addition to handling civil litigation, Ken also represents professionals before various state and federal agencies, including the ARDC and the Illinois Department of Human Rights.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Insurance Law Committee; Illinois Association of Defense Council; Professional Liability Defense Federation
- Achieved summary judgment on a legal malpractice claim based upon the statute of repose despite countless allegations of fraud and deception that are typically considered to waive such a defense
- Achieved summary judgment on a legal malpractice claim based upon res judicata, using rulings from the underlying litigation as a basis for the motion. The case was affirmed on appeal.
- Achieved summary judgment for a third party administrator on a promissory estoppel claim. The case was affirmed on appeal.
- Achieved summary judgment on a legal appellate malpractice claim by arguing the attorney judgment rule. The case was affirmed on appeal.
- Obtained dismissal of allegations against an independent insurance broker, who was alleged to have conspired to spoliate evidence and property, based upon the statute of limitations. The case was affirmed on appeal and developed a new statute of limitations for spoliation claims in Illinois.
- Settled multiple engineering and construction-related matters where the damages sought were in excess of $10M
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, January 25, 2018
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- 36 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- January 12, 2015
Presentations & Events
- Going Ugly Early: The benefits and implications on a claim or potential claim if you do and the potential problems if you don’tPLUS Midwest, 2015