Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2012, cum laude
Bellarmine University, B.A., 2009
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Justin is first and foremost a problem solver, a passion that started during his undergraduate studies. His background in economics provides him a way of thinking about things most lawyers do not possess. He strives to help his clients see the big picture, weigh the risks and advantages of litigation, and come up with cost effective resolutions. His goal is to put his clients in the best position before, during and after his services are no longer needed.
As a member of the firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group, Justin represents business owners, landlords, employers, trustees and fiduciaries in a wide variety of industries including, real estate, construction, manufacturing, financial services, trust and estate, and employment. Many of his clients face breach of contract, errors and omissions, breach of fiduciary duty, negligence and nonpayment issues.
Outside the office, you can find Justin outdoors with his wife and two small boys, Patrick and William, or sharpening his golf game.
- Selected to Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2017, 2018, 2019
Memberships & Involvement
- Advisory Board Member: Our Little Haven
- Member: The Missouri Bar; Illinois Bar; American Bar Association; Bar Association of Metropolitan Saint Louis; Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Represented contractor at bench trial against claims made by equipment supplier for failure to pay rent, damage to equipment interest and reimbursement for attorney fees. At trial, the judge awarded only 10% of what the equipment supplier had asked for, which was well below the last pre-trial offer.
- Obtained large six figure jury verdict as second chair counsel for a shareholder in dispute involving alleged breach of good faith and shareholder oppression.
- Obtained TRO, preliminary and permanent injunction barring two former employees from working for a competitor, from contacting former clients, and from engaging in a social media frenzy to discredit their former employer.
- Represented tenant at bench trial against landlord who sought damages for failure to pay rent. At trial, the plaintiff received damages of less than 5% of the amount the landlord requested.
On behalf of a leading auto manufacturer, obtained dismissal of majority of product liability claims pending in St. Clair County, Illinois on forum non conveniens and venue grounds.
- Obtained favorable result for landowners in asserting fee simple and easement property rights adjacent to active railroad lines before the United States Court of Federal Claims.
- Achieved favorable result for equipment supplier at arbitration involving claims of failure to pay rent, failure to return equipment, and damage to equipment.
Obtained summary judgment for clients in breach of contract action involving an insurance coverage dispute where clients sought damages exceeding $1M, resulting in favorable settlement.
Defended beneficiary and prevailed on all claims at trial in action to set aside beneficiary deed based on undue influence and lack of capacity.
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, November 13, 2019
- SmithAmundsen, November 2018