Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2012, cum laude
Bellarmine University, B.A., 2009
U.S. Court of Federal Claims
Justin has spent the majority of his career resolving business disputes for his clients. He is first and foremost a creative problem solver and not afraid to think outside the box, or give his clients honest and pragmatic advice. His background in economics provides him a way of thinking about resolutions most lawyers do not possess. Justin strives to help his clients see the big picture, weigh the risks and advantages of litigation, and come up with cost effective resolutions.
As a member of the Commercial Litigation and Bankruptcy & Creditors’ Rights Practice Groups, Justin spends the majority of his time representing businesses, their owners and representatives. He litigates in state and federal courts in Missouri and Illinois and regularly defends and brings claims in arbitrations and before the federal bankruptcy courts. He litigates cases involving breach of contract, errors and omissions, non-compete, fiduciary duty, preferences and fraudulent transfers, negligence and nonpayment issues and represents employers, property owners, beneficiaries, trustees and fiduciaries in a wide variety of industries including, real estate and zoning, construction, financial services, trust and estate, and employment.
He has substantial experience with equitable claims, including temporary, preliminary and permanent injunctions, specific performance, garnishment, judgment enforcement and mandamus and regularly works with financial experts and forensic accountants to formulate economic damage models and calculations for his clients.
- Selected to Missouri and Kansas Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation: 2022
Memberships & Involvement
- Advisory Board Member: Our Little Haven
- Member: The Missouri Bar; Illinois Bar; American Bar Association; Bar Association of Metropolitan Saint Louis; Missouri Organization of Defense Lawyers
- Represented contractor at bench trial against claims made by equipment supplier for failure to pay rent, damage to equipment interest and reimbursement for attorney fees. At trial, the judge awarded only 10% of what the equipment supplier had asked for, which was well below the last pre-trial offer.
- Obtained large six figure jury verdict as second chair counsel for a shareholder in dispute involving alleged breach of good faith and shareholder oppression.
- Obtained TRO, preliminary and permanent injunction barring two former employees from working for a competitor, from contacting former clients, and from engaging in a social media frenzy to discredit their former employer.
- Represented tenant at bench trial against landlord who sought damages for failure to pay rent. At trial, the plaintiff received damages of less than 5% of the amount the landlord requested.
On behalf of a leading auto manufacturer, obtained dismissal of majority of product liability claims pending in St. Clair County, Illinois on forum non conveniens and venue grounds.
- Obtained favorable result for landowners in asserting fee simple and easement property rights adjacent to active railroad lines before the United States Court of Federal Claims.
- Achieved favorable result for equipment supplier at arbitration involving claims of failure to pay rent, failure to return equipment, and damage to equipment.
Obtained summary judgment for clients in breach of contract action involving an insurance coverage dispute where clients sought damages exceeding $1M, resulting in favorable settlement.
Defended beneficiary and prevailed on all claims at trial in action to set aside beneficiary deed based on undue influence and lack of capacity.
- Won a bench trial enforcing a settlement agreement between a medical placement firm and former employee, that barred the former employee from working with specific clients and sought recovery for liquidated damages.
- Defended trustee in discovery of assets proceeding where estate of Decedent sought over $1 million in trust assets.
- Represented trustee in dispute over distribution and valuation of trust assets valued in excess of $5 million.
- Defended trustee against claims of lack of capacity and loss of expectancy and in heritance resulting in the favorable settlement for trustee.
News & Press Releases
- August 19, 2021
- St. Louis Small Business Monthly , February 9, 2021
- SmithAmundsen, November 16, 2020
- Members of SmithAmundsen's St. Louis Office Participate in the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention WalkSeptember 27, 2020
- February 2020
- SmithAmundsen, November 13, 2019
- SmithAmundsen, November 2018