Marquette University Law School, J.D.
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, B.S.
At the outset of every case, Joe partners with his client to identify the bigger picture and tailor a case strategy to achieve a positive, cost-effective result. In one of his more memorable cases, Joe defended an architect against claims of negligence and breach of contract. After six weeks of arbitration, with $65 million on the line, Joe helped his clients reach the best possible resolution, with the arbitrator finding no negligence and awarding his client’s fees.
Joe takes great pride in advising a wide array of businesses and professionals in disputes and complex litigation. Joe’s commercial practice includes both outside general counsel work as well as lead litigation counsel in business disputes of all sizes. He frequently represents architects, general contractors and subcontractors in construction litigation. As a member of the firm’s Professional Liability practice group, he defends architects, attorneys, accountants and other professionals in high exposure litigation.
Joe also successfully defends employers before the ERD and EEOC, representing business owners and human resource professionals against allegations of discrimination, wrongful termination and retaliation.
- Selected to the Wisconsin Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Selected to The Best Lawyers in America© in Commercial Litigation: 2021
Memberships & Involvement
- Co-Chair: SmithAmundsen Committee for Diversity and Inclusion
- Member: State Bar of Wisconsin
- Hispanic National Bar Association: Region IX Deputy Regional President; Member
- Marquette Sports Law Review: Former Editor-in-Chief
- Obtained summary judgment in several legal malpractice claims
- Obtained a directed verdict at trial on behalf of a major retailer in a premises liability case
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing a plaintiff's slip and fall claim and successfully defeated the plaintiff's appeal
- Obtained a defense verdict finding no negligence on behalf of an architect during a multi million dollar arbitration that lasted six weeks
- Successfully obtained several no probable cause findings before the ERD and EEOC
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, November 17, 2020
- August 20, 2020
- SmithAmundsen, November 11, 2019
- November 13, 2018
- SmithAmundsen, November 10, 2017
- March 9, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, November 28, 2016
- Super Lawyers, November 10, 2015
- November 13, 2017
- November 28, 2016
Presentations & Events
- Chicago, IL, June 27, 2019
- SmithAmundsen, Milwaukee, WI; Webinar, September 12, 2018
- Two Peas in a Pod - Keys to an Effective In-House and Outside Counsel RelationshipHNBA Corporate Counsel Conference; Philadelphia, PA, September 6, 2018