The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 2010, magna cum laude
University of Iowa, B.A., 2004, with honors
In John’s first appellate argument he sat across the aisle from five well-seasoned attorneys and obtained a full reversal of the trial court’s order. Nothing gives him more gratification than helping people navigate the legal system and resolving their issues.
John brings an interesting perspective to his clients’ cases. For the first five years of his career, he represented the plaintiff side of class action cases. Seeing the view from the other side gives him an advantage other defense attorneys lack.
As a member of the Class Action Practice Group, John has extensive experience litigating privacy and consumer protection claims, including claims brought under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), and various state consumer fraud and privacy statutes. He also has significant experience litigating claims involving the use of emerging technology, such as mobile applications and cloud-based services. John also regularly counsels clients on marketing and advertising practices to ensure compliance with state and federal law. He represents companies in a variety of industries and service sectors including sales and marketing, wireless/mobile technology, the Internet, healthcare, insurance, and telecommunications.
As a member of the Data Privacy, Security & Litigation Group, John advises companies on best practices for protecting their customers’ and employees’ personal information and for responding to a suspected data breach.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Bar Association, Class Action Section
- Successfully defended numerous clients facing claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and state consumer fraud statute, and obtained early settlements at a fraction of the potential exposure, prior to filing responsive pleading.
- Successfully defended a publicly-held company facing claims that its hiring practices violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
- Obtained numerous early resolutions for companies facing class-action lawsuits under the Telephone Consumer Protection Act before engaging in extensive class-wide litigation.
- Successfully counseled companies regarding compliance with various data and privacy requisites, including New York’s Cybersecurity Regulation, 23 NYCRR 500, and GDPR.
- Assisted company in data incident response when customers’ accounts were potentially accessed by persons located overseas. This work involved overseeing the forensic examination, confirming requirements of various states, preparing statutorily-required notice, and serving as liaison to federal and state officials.
- Assisted publicly-held data storage company in HIPAA compliance based on suspected data incident involving customer’s PHI.
- Successfully counseled numerous companies, from privately-held entitles to publicly-traded corporations, on compliance with the Telephone Consumer Protection Act.
- Succeeded in a motion to dismiss FDCPA claims based on the argument that the defendants didn’t qualify as “debt collectors,” and thus could not be liable under the statute.
News & Press Releases
- February 26, 2019
- Citing Spokeo, Judge Blocks TCPA Class Against Pet Insurer - Law360 Mentions Eric Samore, Molly Arranz, John OchoaLaw360, August 17, 2017
- April 26, 2019
- January 9, 2019
- March 20, 2018
- January 2017
- October 21, 2016
- May 16, 2016
- April 8, 2016
- USLAW Magazine, Fall 2016
Presentations & Events
- 2016 USLAW Network Data Privacy Security Book Camp, Dallas, TX, November 2016