Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., Certificate in Health Law, 2006, cum laude
Duke University School of Medicine, M.H.S., Pathology, 2001
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, B.S., Biology, Chemistry 1998
Before attending law school, Jennifer worked and studied at multiple academic medical centers where she witnessed firsthand the impact of medical malpractice lawsuits on the practice of medicine. This unique exposure coupled with a lifelong love of science was the catalyst that drove her to become a health care defense attorney.
For more than 10 years, Jennifer has utilized her clinical background and analytical nature in health care litigation and compliance. She defends hospitals, health care systems, long term care facilities, medical clinics, physician practice groups, clinical laboratory services, and individual health care providers against medical malpractice, institutional liability and other complex litigation claims at the trial and appellate court levels.
Jennifer is dedicated to working with her clients to not only defend against past errors, but also to prevent adverse future outcomes. She recently obtained summary judgment in favor of a hospital in a wrongful death case involving nearly $3 million in medical specials.
Jennifer received the Certified in Healthcare Compliance (CHC) designation from the Compliance Certification Board, demonstrating knowledge of Medicare compliance procedures and the ability to implement programs to ensure health care providers observe federal, state and local health care regulations.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers “Rising Stars” list: 2009, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Received Chicago Healthcare Risk Management Society (CHRMS) Greatest Contribution of the Year Award
- Selected by the Leading Lawyers Network as an “Emerging Lawyer” in health law and medical malpractice defense
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Health Lawyers Association; American College of Legal Medicine; Defense Research Institute (DRI); Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel; American Society for Healthcare Risk Management; Health Care Compliance Association; Illinois Association of Healthcare Attorneys; American Association for the Advancement of Science; American Geophysical Union
- Chicago Healthcare Risk Management Society (CHRMS): Program Committee, 2007 – Present; Past President, 2017-2018; President, 2016-2017; President-Elect, 2015-2016; Executive Board Member, 2011-2015; Program Committee, Co-Chair, 2011-2013
- Obtained multiple voluntary dismissals with prejudice on behalf of hospitals and long term care facilities prior to entering into expert discovery phase
- Obtained an affirmed defense verdict on behalf of a hospital and its residents in a medical negligence action
- Secured an affirmed directed verdict on behalf of an on-call physician based upon the lack of any doctor-patient relationship
- Obtained a JNOV reversal of a $7.6 million verdict against a hospital in a case where negligence was admitted and only damages challenged at trial
- Submitted an amicus brief in support of the constitutionality of Illinois' 2005 Tort Reforms in the Lebron v. Gottlieb Memorial Hospital litigation on behalf of a Chicago-based healthcare system
- Obtained directed verdict as to apparent agency and survival claims, and not guilty verdict on all remaining counts at trial for hospital in case involved alleged failure to properly manage and monitor anticoagulation therapy following a hip fracture
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of hospital in case wrongful death case involving nearly $3 million in medical specials
Obtained a defense verdict in a case involving the Nursing Home Care Act. In addition to compensatory damages for permanent injury, the plaintiff had sought punitive damages and $500,000 in medical bills. Before closing argument, the claim for punitive damages and 50% of the medical specials were dismissed.
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- 30 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- May 2015
- January 12, 2015
- January 23, 2013
- January 3, 2013
- April 27, 2020
- HHS Office of Civil Rights Announces Guidance to Assist Providers in Navigating HIPAA During the COVID-19 Public Health EmergencyApril 7, 2020
- April 2, 2020
- December 16, 2016
Presentations & Events
- SmithAmundsen, Webcast, May 15, 2020
- Chicagoland Healthcare Risk Management Society; Webcast, April 24, 2020
- Chicago, IL, June 27, 2019
- Hiring, Background Checks, and Medical Credentialing in Health Care Organizations: What You Must Know in 2018SmithAmundsen Seminar, Chicago, IL; Webinar, March 7, 2018
- Legal Issues in Nursing: Why Depositions are TakenClient Presentation, Berwyn, IL, February 28, 2015