Northwestern University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2000
Worcester Polythechnic Institute, B.S., with high distinction, 1997
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
Every time Jennifer conducts post-issuance challenges in the Patent and Trademark Office, initiates or defends a proceeding, or argues an appeal, she knows she is working to help the intellectual property system fix itself. That is what draws her to practice intellectual property law; the challenge and reward that comes with impacting the industry.
Jennifer is not afraid to ask questions. Her clients appreciate that she learns their business and their technology. She studied engineering as an undergrad and is drawn to helping clients in the technology industry. Many of her clients are innovating in areas such as software, medical devices, pharmaceuticals, automotive manufacturing, chemical processing, and diagnostic and testing equipment
As a member of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group, Jennifer assists clients with intellectual property procurement, licensing and enforcement. Her experience includes patent and trademark prosecution, transactional counseling and negotiation, technology licensing such as software products and SaaS, acting as an IP specialist for M&A transactions, negotiating and drafting terms for transaction documents, drafting opinions regarding IP infringement and validity, and counseling clients with respect to other IP and technology issues. Jennifer has also handled numerous contested administrative proceedings at the U.S. Patent Office involving technologies such as GPS for automotive applications, riveting machines, and computer processing optimization.
Jennifer is on the Program Board for the Illinois YMCA Youth & Government Program, which draws about 1,000 high school students from all over Illinois. She has assisted in running the judicial aspect of the program for the last 20 years, helping students take a mock case through trial and appeal. Their motto is “Democracy must be learned by each generation,” and they do their best to teach them.
- Selected to the Leading Lawyers Network as an "Emerging Lawyer" in Intellectual Property Law
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyer List: 2014, 2015
- Listed in Chicago Magazine's Top Attorneys: Illinois' Outstanding Young Lawyers: 2014
- Selected to the Illinois Rising Stars List: 2009, 2010, 2011
- Recognized as Woman of the Year by the National Association of Professional Women: 2012
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Bar Association; Illinois State Bar Association; Chicago Bar Association; Association of Patent Law Firms; Intellectual Property Owners Association; American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Program Board Member: Illinois YMCA State Youth and Government program
- July 20, 2021
- June 11, 2021
- November 20, 2019
Presentations & Events
- SmithAmundsen, Webinar, November 1, 2018