DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 1991
DePaul University, B.S., 1988, with honors
The transportation and litigation market is becoming more sophisticated by the day; higher exposure issues are on the rise. For the last 24 years, Jamie has successfully litigated high exposure and regulatory compliance matters for clients across the U.S. Often described as honest, reliable and conscientious; Jamie has tried nearly 100 jury cases to verdict.
He practices in the areas of commercial transportation and general liability litigation, serving clients in the transportation industry dealing with personal injury claims, risk assessment, best practices, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations and DOT requirements. He has achieved successful defense verdicts in matters involving total disability, traumatic brain injury and spoliation of evidence.
As a member of the firm’s Commercial Transportation Rapid Response Team, Jamie is responsible for coordinating the securing of evidence, experts, and responding to catastrophic losses throughout Illinois and northern Indiana. Jamie also performs monitoring work as appointed counsel at the request of motor carriers, insurers, excess insurers, and corporations concerning catastrophic and complex losses.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2018, 2019
Memberships & Involvement
- Claims Association of Greater Chicago (CAGC): Board of Directors; President (2012- 2013)
- General Counsel: Chicagoland Claims Managers Association, 2006-2009
- Northern Illinois Advisory Board: Midwest Truckers Association
- Member: DRI Trucking Law Committee; Illinois Defense Counsel; Illinois State Bar Association; DuPage County Bar Association; Transportation Lawyers Association; Northern District of Illinois Trial Bar
- Successfully secured an order of summary judgment from the Circuit Court of Cook County for a gold coast condominium association that had been sued by a plaintiff alleging the condition of the building caused him to fall leading to quadriplegia
- Lead defense counsel in a wrongful death matter proceeding to trial in the Circuit Court of Cook County
- Lead defense counsel in an alleged traumatic brain injury filed by a bicyclist and resulting in a favorable verdict
- Successfully tried a catastrophic injury case to a not guilty verdict in the Circuit Court of Cook County. Plaintiff had $1.0 million in medical bills, traumatic brain injury, and permanent impairment. This was one of the first cases to proceed to trial after the Ready decision that prevented settled parties from being included on the verdict form
Successfully tried a catastrophic liability loss for the Northern District of Illinois against a national commercial motor carrier. Plaintiff claimed permanent and disabling physical injuries, traumatic brain injury, and permanent disability. Claims against client commercial motor carrier and driver included hours of service, sleep apnea, and improper training. Plaintiff asked jury for $12.0 million and the verdict was less than specials.
Successfully tried a personal injury case against a national commercial motor vehicle company and its driver to a not guilty verdict. Post-accident, Plaintiff underwent a bilateral total knee replacement, hemilamenctomy with permanent impairment claims including peroneal nerve injury. Plaintiff had $295,000 in medical bills and sought $2.35 million from the jury. Defense was primarily focused on biomechanics and g-force of impact.
Obtained a defense verdict in a case involving the Nursing Home Care Act. In addition to compensatory damages for permanent injury, the plaintiff had sought punitive damages and $500,000 in medical bills. Before closing argument, the claim for punitive damages and 50% of the medical specials were dismissed.
News & Press Releases
Presentations & Events
- Emerging Trends Against Commercial Motor CarriersClient Seminar, Salt Lake City, UT, November 2016
- Best Practices in Claims Made Against Commercial Motor CarriersClient Seminar, Lombard, IL, September 2016
- Immediate Response Strategies & ValueAmeriClaim Annual Conference, Dallas, TX, February 2015
- Case Assessment and Risk EvaluationCLM and Client Seminar, February 2015