Washington University in St. Louis School of Law, J.D., 2006
University of Illinois, B.A., 2003, Phi Beta Kappa
Darren is a talented litigator, defending clients in all types of matters ranging from personal injury and wrongful death to defamation and discrimination. He serves his clients through open and candid communication and zealous advocacy in and out of the courtroom.
Darren serves as co-chair of the firm’s cannabis practice. He works with dispensaries, infusers, cultivators, manufacturers, distributors, and entities with connections and business relationships in this exciting and emerging industry with a specialty in CBD. He provides counsel on litigation, corporate, regulatory and employment issues.
An experienced trial attorney, Darren has consistently earned beneficial results for his clients. Darren recently earned a dismissal of 7 of a plaintiff's 8 causes of action in a case where the plaintiff sought damages over $1M, and later helped to earn a not-guilty verdict on the remaining cause of action. Darren has also successfully taken matters to arbitration and earned dismissals for his clients on multiple occasions via dispositive motion practice, most recently for a nightclub after the plaintiff injured her knee while drinking and dancing. He also earned summary judgment on behalf of a national corporation in a premises liability case in which the plaintiff was demanding nearly $1M.
Darren works within a variety of industries, representing banks, insurance companies, manufacturing companies, individuals and businesses in the cannabis industry, and restaurants.
In addition to his practice, Darren is a member of the Park Ridge Chamber of Commerce. When he is not working he is golfing, listening to music, supporting Chicago’s sports teams and spending time with his wife and kids.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Illinois Cannabis Bar Association; Park Ridge Chamber of Commerce; Defense Research Institute; Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel; American Bar Association; and Chicago Bar Association
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national banking corporation in a premises liability case where the plaintiff was likely to demand nearly $1 million
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a national beverage corporation in a personal injury matter
- Successfully defended a national restaurant chain in a discrimination lawsuit after the plaintiff alleged that the franchise location he was operating was treated differently and that he was denied the opportunity to expand to his preferred locations because of his race. After a three week trial, the jury returned a not guilty verdict after deliberating for only 40 minutes.
News & Press Releases
- Darren Grady is Quoted in Law360's Article -- 3 Ways Attys Are Preparing For Illinois Cannabis SalesLaw360, December 20, 2019
- ASweatLife, September 27, 2019
- The Washington Post, June 28, 2019
- Law360, June 3, 2019
- March 17, 2015
- Is the US on the Brink of Cannabis Legalization? Not Quite, but the House has Voted to Remove Cannabis from the Controlled Substances ActDecember 4, 2020
- November 22, 2019
- Cannabis News Quick Hitters, August 2019 – IL Expands and Makes Permanent Medical Use; ABA Supports Cannabis Law ReformAugust 15, 2019
- June 3, 2019
- May 1, 2019
- April 3, 2019
- February 15, 2019
- January 24, 2019
- November 7, 2018
- September 28, 2018
- August 29, 2018
- June 27, 2018
- February 27, 2017
- VendingMarketWatch.com, May 8, 2019
- DRI's The Voice Newsletter, January 30, 2019
Presentations & Events
- USLAW Network, Webcast, September 30, 2020 - October 9, 2020
- "Up in Smoke!" A Briefing for Employers on Legalizing Adult-Use Cannabis and How it Can Impact the WorkplaceGrain & Feed Association of Illinois; Webinar, December 3, 2019
- Webinar; BankersWeb, July 18, 2019
- NAMA Webinar, June 25, 2019
- The Claims Association of Greater Chicago Spring Seminar; Oakbrook, IL, April 26, 2018