Loyola University Chicago School of Law, J.D., 1980, with honors
Roosevelt University, B.S., 1977, summa cum laude
Loyola Alumni Academic Scholarship Recipient
In the ever changing healthcare environment, litigation is volatile and expensive, and the need for exceptional litigation counsel has never been greater. Those in the healthcare industry know Carmel Cosgrave is the attorney to call for the high profile, high exposure case.
Carmel has been resolving complex litigation matters for healthcare clients for more than 30 years. She works with her clients to collaborate on a successful resolution strategy. When that strategy is to proceed to trial, Carmel is a fierce advocate and formidable adversary. When litigation is not the most prudent route, Carmel advises her clients honestly and thoughtfully on the best resolution for their interests. Carmel represents hospital systems, long term care operators, assisted living facilities, medical device manufacturers, physicians, nurses, dentists, and other medical professionals, in all forms of litigation, including administrative proceedings, mediation and trials.
As a member of the firm’s Diversity Committee, Carmel works to advance firm-wide diversity initiatives. Carmel also organized the firm’s first Women’s Affinity Group in late 2018 to empower, encourage and support the female attorneys of SmithAmundsen to become better lawyers and leaders in the legal community. As a member of the firm’s Executive Committee, Carmel influences the strategic direction of the firm, ensuring each of our attorneys is working to exceed client expectations in every area of practice.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Received the 2016 Cook County Jury Verdict Reporter Trial Lawyer Excellence Award
- Selected by the Leading Lawyers Network as a "Leading Lawyer" in medical malpractice defense law
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: SmithAmundsen Executive Committee, Diversity Committee
- Chicago Bar Association's Judicial Evaluation Committee: Member of Executive Committee of CBA JEC, 2010 - present; Past Committee Chair: Committee Chair, 2015-2016
- Chicago Hospital Risk Managers Society (CHRMS): Member; President, April 2008-2009; President-Elect, April 2007-2008; Past President 2009-2010 and Executive Board, 2005-2010.
- Member: Society of Trial Lawyers
- Chair: Chicago Bar Association's Judicial Evaluation Committee
- Former Faculty Member: National Institute for Trial Advocacy – Midwest Region
- Loyola University of Chicago School of Law: Former Legal Writing Instructor; Volunteer Trial Team Coach
- Not guilty verdict for hospital in wrongful death action where family of a 47 year old psychologist and mother of 3 claimed negligence for delays in the emergency department in failing to diagnose and treat patient with signs of stroke
- Not guilty for hospital on an apparent agency case when co-defendants, including physicians and another hospital, were found liable for a plaintiff's verdict of more than $14,000,000 involving the death of a mother of 2 as the result of complications during delivery
- Appellate court decision reversing a nearly $5,000,000 verdict on a wrongful death case involving the death of a 19 year old male who suffered an asthma attack and then allegedly died of anaphylactic reaction while hospitalized.
- Resolution of a presuit matter involving a severely brained injured mother of three following complications of pregnancy
News & Press Releases
- October 5, 2017
- Jury Verdict Reporter, October 19, 2016
- June 25, 2014
- Successful Defense Against Allegation of Apparent Agency on Behalf of Hospital in Medical Malpractice TrialDecember 10, 2013
- August 22, 2018
- March 25, 2016
- February 29, 2016
- March 20, 2015
Presentations & Events
- Chicago, IL, June 27, 2019
- Brando's Speakeasy, June 21, 2017
- June 23, 2016
- The Women's Bar Association of Illinois & Jones Day, May 5, 2016
- Park Hyatt, Chicago, IL, February 18, 2016
- Chicago, IL, June 25, 2015
- 150 N. Michigan Ave, Suite 3300, Chicago IL, 60601, February 19, 2015