Our insolvency and restructuring group provides nationwide transactional and litigation services to financially troubled entities, secured lenders, trustees, receivers, unsecured creditors, official creditor and equity securityholder committees, landlords, buyers and sellers of assets, lessors, lessees, investors and insurers, among others, in the following settings:
- Chapter 11 reorganization cases
- Chapter 7 liquidation cases
- Out-of-court loan restructurings and “work-outs”
- Asset recovery and foreclosure
- Debtor/creditor litigation in federal and state courts
- Receiverships and assignments for the benefit of creditors
- Dissolutions and winding-up of business entities
We combine decades of legal experience, a relentless commitment to excellence and a profound concern for clients so that we may best attack even the most intractable problems.
Significant case involvements for our attorneys have included the following:
- Filed numerous amicus curiae brief in the United States Supreme Court on complex bankruptcy issues, including, most recently, a brief opposing lien stripping in Bank of America NA v. Caulkett
- Represented the Trustee in Bankruptcy of the Arena Football League
- Represented debtors in the successful Chapter 11 cases of Rock Island Railroad, AM International, Inc., Jartran Inc., Goldblatt Dept. Stores, the Pittsfield Building Partnership, Specialty Equipment Co., Handy Andy Home Improvement Centers, Inc., Grossman’s Hardware Stores, and Universal Access, Inc.
- Represented senior secured creditors in the successful Chapter 11 cases involving prominent Chicago real estate including the Heyworth Building, the Whitehall and Tremont Hotels, and the Rivercrest Shopping Center.
- Represented insurers in major mass tort Chapter 11 cases including asbestos, flammable fuel gel, contaminated vaccines, and clergy abuse cases.
- Represented a Trustee in Bankruptcy in the successful management and litigation of over 400 preference and fraudulent conveyance cases nationwide.
- Represented a receiver in the liquidation of $40 million in partially developed properties throughout the Midwest, and in the complex liquidation of a multi-million dollar auto insurance premium finance company.
BANKING AND FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS
Our attorneys work closely with the firm’s banking and financial institutions group to assist lenders and financial institutions in the settings, described above, in which our group focuses.
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, February 2017
- Indiana Lawyer, February 8, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- Crain's Chicago Business, September 10, 2016
- The American Lawyer, August 2016
- Equality Illinois, July 8, 2016
- May 10, 2016
- Above the Law, April 18, 2016
- Above the Law, April 13, 2016
- 9 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Indiana Super Lawyers and 2016 Indiana Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, February 12, 2016
- June 16, 2015
- January 2015
- ISBA's Commercial Banking, Collections & Bankruptcy Law Newsletter, March 13, 2015
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, April 21, 2014
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, February 19, 2014
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, August 28, 2013
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, June 12, 2013
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, February 15, 2013
Presentations & Events
- National Business Institute; Webinar, December 28, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, June 8, 2016
- National Business Institute, Webinar, June 6, 2016
- National Business Institute, Naperville, IL, January 13, 2015
- National Business Institute, Naperville, IL, June 12, 2014; June 13, 2014