Our estate and business planning group works with clients and their advisor team to identify business and personal goals. We then customize a plan to achieve these objectives. Our broad and sophisticated estate and business practice addresses tax and planning opportunities for individuals and businesses of all sizes.
Many individuals perceive estate planning to be a daunting process. Our attorneys explain the options in detail, making sure clients are well informed and understand the documents used to implement their goals. Our experience enables our clients to reduce or eliminate estate, gift, and generation-skipping transfer taxes, to avoid or minimize the probate process, and to provide tools to adapt to unforeseeable circumstances.
In addition to creating estate plans, we strive to develop strong relationships with our clients. At our clients’ request, we periodically review their estate plans and make certain the plan evolves with changing financial and personal circumstances, as well as changes in the law.
We realize that even a well drafted plan may lead to disputes. We work closely with estate and trust fiduciaries to ensure their obligations are met. In the event a dispute cannot be peacefully resolved, our attorneys guide fiduciaries and beneficiaries through litigation to enforce their rights and recover what they are entitled to.
Our full-service practice utilizes legal and tax techniques to achieve the financial objectives of our clients. Our team of attorneys work in concert with our clients’ other advisers to develop a plan that encompasses our clients’ goals, relationships, commitments, and resources.
We have substantial experience in the area of business planning for owners of closely held businesses, including extensive experience in transfer and partnership issues. We assist clients in the integration of business planning techniques and estate planning by providing advice on the tax and non-tax issues related to the transfer of family businesses, including capital structure reorganizations, buy-sell arrangements, gift programs, and valuation issues.
Areas of Expertise
Our attorneys understand that creating and maintaining estate planning documents is an important step in the process in order to ensure our clients’ wishes are properly carried out, that their assets are properly handled, and that their business and other interests are properly managed. To assist clients in this process, the attorneys in our estate planning practice regularly draft and administer complex estate plans for families and businesses, including:
- Wills and Related Transfer Documents
- Living Trusts
- Life Insurance Trusts
- Private Foundations
- Charitable Trusts
- Gift Trusts
- Dynasty Trusts
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Intentionally Defective Trusts
In addition to preparing and administering these documents, we routinely consult with clients on strategic business planning among generations and provide counsel on:
- Asset Protection Planning
- Business Continuity and Succession Planning
- Planning with Executive Compensation Benefits and Qualified Plans
- Charitable Planning and Philanthropic Giving
- Tax Minimization Strategies
- Selection of Trustees
- Non-traditional Family Planning
News & Press Releases
- Crain's Chicago Business, September 15, 2017
- Equality Illinois, August 1, 2017
- Crain's Chicago Business, September 10, 2016
- The American Lawyer, August 2016
- Equality Illinois, July 8, 2016
- Above the Law, April 18, 2016
- Above the Law, April 13, 2016
- Estate & Business Law Group, P.C.'s The Wealth Counselor., August 1, 2014
- The Wealth Counselor, May 2014
- The Wealth Counselor, March 2014
- The Wealth Counselor, February 2014
- The Wealth Counselor, January 2014
- The Wealth Counselor, December 2013
- The Wealth Counselor, November 2013