We understand the goals, the thinking and the motivation that drive business decisions inside and outside the courtroom. The experience of our attorneys enables us to bring the highest level of legal skills to the defense of matters prior to suit, and throughout each phase of litigation, trial and appeal.
Appeals can be won—and lost—before a case ever gets to the reviewing court. To meet our clients’ needs, we have, as one of our areas of practice, a group dedicated to handling appeals in state and federal courts. The members of this group have clerked for members of the Illinois Appellate Court and appear before reviewing courts in the Midwest and beyond.
Clients retain members of the group to develop and implement appellate strategies before, during, and after trial, and to advise clients on the most effective way to reach favorable results in cases that other law ﬁrms have handled. Members of the group are effective in their practice because they are familiar with and experienced in all phases of appeals. Our attorneys routinely:
- Work with our trial attorneys in preparing motions in limine and second chairing trials in high exposure cases in which the record must be preserved;
- Draft and argue all forms of motions for post-trial relief, including motions for judgment notwithstanding the verdict, for a new trial, for approval of appeal bonds, and for stay of enforcement of judgments;
- Handle appeals from non-ﬁnal orders (e.g., denying motions to dismiss on grounds of lack of personal jurisdiction, venue and forum non conveniens, granting new trials, or granting or denying preliminary injunctions, etc.); and
- Brief and argue cases before reviewing courts.
Clients also retain this group to take over cases handled or tried by other law ﬁrms to perform these services or to evaluate and consult on appeals being handled by other ﬁrms. Our attorneys have also been selected by industry and professional organizations to ﬁle amicus curiae briefs before reviewing courts on issues important to their members.
A Record of Results
The attorneys in our appellate group have handled over 600 appeals, resulting in over 300 published opinions that have shaped tort and commercial law.
U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" – Appellate – Tier 1 – Chicago Metropolitan Area
U.S. News – Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" – Appellate – Tier 1 – National
News & Press Releases
- Law360, May 28, 2018
- Chicago Lawyer, April 2018
- SmithAmundsen, February 20, 2018
- SmithAmundsen, January 25, 2018
- October 27, 2017
- Crain's Chicago Business, September 15, 2017
- August 15, 2017
- Equality Illinois, August 1, 2017
- Michael Resis Inducted 2017-2018 President of the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel; Receives 2017 President’s AwardThe Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel , July 5, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- Crain's Chicago Business, September 10, 2016
- The American Lawyer, August 2016
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, July 27, 2016
- Equality Illinois, July 8, 2016
- Above the Law, April 18, 2016
- Above the Law, April 13, 2016
- August 3, 2015
- Earlier Suit Didn't Pause Clock For TCPA Suit, 11th Circ. Says - Law360 Article Mentions Eric SamoreLaw360, August 3, 2015
- Chicago Daily Law Bulletin, November 8, 2016