On Tuesday, October 12, 2010, Glen Amundsen, Chairman and CEO, along with Kristofer Swanson from Navigant Consulting, presented "Whistleblowers Past the Graveyard: Ethics & Compliance Best Practices in a Brave New World of Heightened Corporate Scrutiny" to the Chicago Chapter of the Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC).
Amendments to the Federal Sentencing Guidelines for Organizations take effect in November 2010. Dodd Frank regulatory reform has seen to it that in addition to moral imperatives there are very significant financial incentives motivating the erstwhile corporate watchdogs in companies. Expansions of the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and the False Claims Act are posing new challenges to keeping companies out of the headlines.
The presentation addressed these challenges and the focused on the following:
- How do general counsel continue to protect the integrity and values of their enterprise?
- What best practices should be a part of the tool box as companies continue to evolve the protections in place to discover and remedy ethical issues before they do irreparable harm?
- How to effectively address investigations of alleged wrong doing?
- What to do differently in light of these new laws and heightened enforcement climate?
- How to continue to build on the ethical standards you have been trying to instill as a part of the culture of your company.