DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 2005, cum laude
The London School of Economics and Political Science, M.Sc., 2002
University of Illinois, B.A., 1999
Tim has found that zealous advocacy of client interests coupled with a pragmatic approach to problem solving leave him well-positioned to obtain the best possible resolution. In his practice, Tim protects the interests of domestic and international insurers and reinsurers in matters ranging from claims management to coverage dispute resolution through litigation, arbitration and mediation. He has handled complex insurance and reinsurance coverage disputes involving both domestic and international policy forms. Tim also works comfortably with claims involving mass torts, environmental liability, product liability, government entity liability, construction defect and professional liability.
A member of the firm’s Data Security & Breach team, Tim advises insurers regarding appropriate responses and coverage implications with respect to data breaches and cyber-attacks. He is particularly interested in recent developments in the cyber coverage realm, and the utility of new industry policies.
Tim was previously a legislative aide for a Colorado State Representative as well as for a member of the House of Commons in London. During his involvement in domestic and international politics, he learned the importance of negotiation and collegiality in obtaining results, which has helped him considerably in his legal career.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List: 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS); Claims & Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Represented insurer interests during the resolution of insurance issues arising out of the San Bruno Pipeline Explosion and the San Diego Wildfires
- Achieved successful outcomes for insurers in a variety of coverage actions, including claims brought under commercial liability, professional liability, personal and auto policies
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- 38 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- March 17, 2015
- IDC Quarterly, April 9, 2014
Presentations & Events
- Coverage Basics 101Client Seminar, Chicago, IL, July 21, 2015
- Chicago, IL; Webinar, November 19, 2014
- Warning! Pitfalls to avoid in the Changing Technological ClimateTechnology Trends that are Transforming the Insurance Industry and Practice of Law, Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, July 10, 2014
- The Cyber ThreatInsurance Accounting and Systems Association Chicagoland Chapter Conference, April 17, 2014
- Chicago, IL, November 5, 2013