The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1987
College of the Holy Cross, B.A., 1980
After 29 years as a trial litigator, Tom Lyman still gets a thrill out of giving the closing argument. The first time he stepped into a courtroom was to observe a trial at Daley Center in Chicago. He knew immediately he wanted to be a lawyer. Since then there have been a number of memorable moments in court, including a $0 defense verdict for his client in a hand amputation case where the plaintiff asked for $3.4 million, as well as a settlement for $220,000 at the close of a trial in a toxic tort lead paint case where the plaintiff’s attorney asked the jury to award $44 million for the injuries. Tom still enjoys listening to (and learning from) the jury's comments after his trials about their thought process and the reasoning of their decisions.
Tom defends clients facing various litigation matters, such as personal injury, property damage, construction accidents, construction defects, toxic torts, Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA), nursing homes and assisted living facilities, automobile and trucking litigation, product liability, professional liability, premises-related litigation and commercial litigation. He also handles cases involving discrimination, false arrest, and malicious prosecution.
In addition to his legal practice, Tom is involved with Gilda’s Club of Chicago, a national cancer support organization. He speaks to medical students at local hospitals on the signs and symptoms of ovarian cancer.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2018
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Illinois State Bar Association; Illinois Defense Trial Counsel; Professional Liability Underwriting Society (PLUS); American Bar Association
- Member: SmithAmundsen’s Trial Committee
- Instructor: SmithAmundsen Trial Academy and weekly training seminars for new SmithAmundsen attorneys
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, January 25, 2018
Presentations & Events
- "Doctor Depositions"Presented by Illinois Insitute For Continuing Legal Education (IILCE); Chicago, IL
- "Resolving Claims and Lawsuits Through ADR/Trial" - Presented to the Claims Association of Greater ChicagoChicago, IL, April 2014