Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 2009
James Madison College, Michigan State University, B.A., 2006, honors
When an attorney takes the time to truly understand a client’s trade she develops a greater understanding of how each of the organization’s legal issues affects its bottom line. Sulema goes this extra mile for her clients and further, often spending her own time becoming well-versed in the factual or legal issues presented in each case. She defends clients in various litigation matters, including premise liability, products liability, personal injury claims at large construction sites, bad faith and extra contractual claims related to insurance coverage, legal malpractice, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty.
Prior to joining the firm, Sulema worked at the Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office where she divided her time as an assistant state’s attorney between the domestic violence division and the criminal appeals division.
She regularly volunteers with the Trial Advocacy program as an assistant trial team coach. She is also a volunteer and event host for the Chicago Metropolitan Battered Women’s Network.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" List: 2016
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Bar Association; Women’s Bar Association
- Board of Directors: Hispanic Lawyers Association of Illinois
- Hispanic National Bar Association: Past Grant Affiliate Committee Chair; Past President, Young Lawyer’s Division (2013-2014); Latina Commission Commissioner (2015-2016)
News & Press Releases
- March 10, 2016
- 38 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- April 30, 2012
Presentations & Events
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Seminar; Chicago, IL, September 9, 2016
- Hispanic National Bar Association, Seminar, Chicago, IL, September 9, 2016
- June 23, 2016
- Sulema Medrano to Speak at the Chicago Latino Network, "Ask the Experts: The Power of Networking" EventMass Mutual Financial Group, Chicago, IL, April 27, 2016
- Top Issues Facing Young Hispanic AttorneysHispanic National Bar Association Annual Convention Panel, 2014
- 2014 Hispanic National Bar Association Annual Conference Youth SymposiumModerator, 2014
- Chicago, IL, March 28, 2013