IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1991
IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law, Environmental Law Certificate
Northern Illinois University, B.S. in Nursing, 1984
Ruth puts 110% into any project she handles for a client. Ruth has been successfully resolving matters in and out of the courtroom for the last 24 years. Ruth has led matters to verdict in seven northwest Illinois counties. She has handled more than 60 arbitration hearings, numerous bench trials and has favorably resolved dozens of matters through dispositive motions.
Ruth handles general litigation matters like breach of contract, retail premises litigation, personal injury, medical malpractice and catastrophic & complex defense litigation. An environmentalist of sorts, Ruth also provides services to the agribusiness industry in areas like real estate and land use, contracts, and general liability.
As chair of the firm’s agribusiness practice, Ruth manages a team providing comprehensive legal services to agricultural operations throughout the Midwest. As managing partner of the firm’s Rockford office, Ruth maintains a strong commitment to strengthening firm ties with the Rockford community.
In addition to her work as a litigator, Ruth is also an arbitrator in binding arbitration cases and uninsured/underinsured matters with the American Arbitration Association and the Winnebago County Mandatory Arbitration Program.
Ruth serves on the Board of Directors for the Visiting Nurse Association, a national health industry association that supports, promotes and advocates for nonprofit home health, hospice and palliative care and health promotion services to ensure quality care within their communities. Prior to becoming an attorney, Ruth received her Bachelors of Science Degree in nursing and was a practicing nurse.
Outside the office Ruth devotes her time to her hobby farm, traveling to horse shows and bird watching. She participates in the Audubon Society’s annual Christmas and spring bird counts.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2015, 2016
Memberships & Involvement
- Winnebago County Bar Association: Chair, Law Practice Management Committee (2010-2011); Vice Chair, Law Practice Management Committee (2009-2010); 2008 Board of Directors (3 year term); Chair, Trial and Appellate Committee (2013-2014)
- Member: Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel; Illinois State Bar Association (Environmental, Agricultural and Animal Law Sections); American Arbitration Association’s Illinois Uninsured Motorist Panel; American Agriculture Law Association; The Illinois Farm Bureau; Visiting Nurses Association (Rockford Health System), Board of Directors, 2013 - 2016, 2016- 2019
- Member: Illinois State Bar Association Agricultural Law Section Council: 2016-2017
News & Press Releases
- September 30, 2016
- February 11, 2015
- Manure: It May Be A “Pollutant” As Defined By Your Farm’s Standard General Liability Policy, And Potentially Excluded From CoverageJanuary 16, 2015
- October 14, 2014
- April 10, 2014
- January 28, 2014
- October 22, 2013
- August 9, 2013
- Poultry Processors Were Not Entitled to Compensation For Time Spent Donning Work Gear - Have Your Collective Bargaining Contracts in Place!June 6, 2013
- July 12, 2012
- USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer 2014
- Illinois State Bar Association, Agricultural Law, July 2013
Presentations & Events
- The Role of Guardian Ad Litem in Adult Guardianship Cases17th Judicial Circuit Court, Boone County, Illinois, May 17, 2013
- Webinar, May 2, 2013
- Recent Labor Issues in Agriculture LawFCCI, Carmel, IN, April 30, 2012
- National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System Permit for Pesticide ApplicationFCCI, Carmel, IN, April 30, 2012
- Building Your Practice of the FutureWCBA Law Practice Management Section, Rockford, IL, 2011