University of Wisconsin Law School, J.D., 2003
Marquette University, B.A., 1998, magna cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa
For Molly Arranz, being a lawyer is about being an advocate. Growing up, she witnessed legal challenges her father faced while he ran his own, small business—issues that resulted from his not finding necessary legal assistance for his company’s needs. Her decision to go to law school stemmed from her desire to address this gap and provide legal support for businesses like the one her father owned.
Molly is the co-chair of SmithAmundsen’s Data Privacy, Security and Litigation Practice Group and a partner in the firm’s Class Action Practice Group. She has defended more than 70 class actions involving legal theories, ranging from data privacy, consumer fraud, breach of contract, invasion of privacy and misrepresentation to the Fair & Accurate Credit Transactions Act (FACTA), the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA). She has represented a wide variety of companies from small family-owned businesses to Fortune 500 companies. She has also provided compliance counseling to a global provider of cloud services and companies that have suffered cyber and privacy invasions. She regularly counsels clients on compliance considerations involving consumer protection regulations, data privacy practices, notification requirements and advertising regulations.
Molly has litigated in federal and state courts throughout the country. She has briefed and then argued statutory compliance issues and Federal Communication Commission regulations in front of the 11th Circuit. Recently, in just one consumer class action, she first defeated class certification and then tried the case to a defense verdict; and, she will soon be arguing the matter before the D.C. Court of Appeals.
Outside of practicing law, Molly participates in community, school and church organizations. Just recently, she volunteered at her daughter’s school as an assistant basketball coach.
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List of Rising Stars: 2011, 2013
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Bar Association; Wisconsin Bar Association
Court Admissions: Illinois; Wisconsin; U.S. Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit; U.S. Court of Appeals Eleventh Circuit; U.S. District Court, Central District of Illinois; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Illinois; U.S. District Court, Northern District of Indiana; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan; U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan; and, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin.
Pro Hac Vice Admissions: Florida; Indiana; Arizona; District of Columbia; U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut; U.S. District Court, Southern District of Florida; U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri; U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina; and, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania.
- Obtained a verdict in favor of the corporate-defendant and individual-defendant in a trial alleging violations of the Telephone Consumer Protection Act
- Obtained judgment on behalf of a small company in a Florida class action case by showing no vicarious liability for the alleged infractions of the federal statute at issue
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice of a case, on the first day of an expected two week trial, based upon the theory that damages sought were not compensable under Illinois law and won the issue on appeal, which presented an issue of first impression
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of a major bank in a case alleging injuries from exposure to purported toxic mold, where plaintiff alleged potential damages over $1 million
- Successfully defeated class certification in a Telephone Consumer Protection Act case in Washington D.C. based on various grounds, including that plaintiff was an inadequate representative, that common questions did not predominate and that the class action procedure was not the superior mode of adjudication
- Won on a motion for partial summary judgment in a Telephone Consumer Protection Act case in federal court in Florida by demonstrating a lack of authority for over two-thirds of the advertisements at issue, thereby reducing potential class recovery by over $2 million
- Successfully defeated class certification in two landlord-tenant class actions in Chicago based, in part, on evidence marshaled to demonstrate individual defenses to the named plaintiffs’ claims
News & Press Releases
- October 5, 2017
- Citing Spokeo, Judge Blocks TCPA Class Against Pet Insurer - Law360 Mentions Eric Samore, Molly Arranz, John OchoaLaw360, August 17, 2017
- Cirque US Arm Wants Out Of TCPA Junk Fax Complaint - Law360 Article Mentions Eric Samore, Molly Arranz, and Yesha HoeppnerLaw360, November 2, 2016
- Cirque Du Soleil Deposit Won't Ax TCPA Suit Yet, Judge Says - Law360 Eric Samore, Molly Arranz, and Yesha HoeppnerLaw360, October 3, 2016
- Cirque Du Soleil Can't End TCPA Suit With Payment: Group - Law360 Article Mentions Eric Samore, Molly Arranz and Yesha HoeppnerLaw360, March 11, 2016
- Cirque Wants Stay, Group Wants Cert. In Junk Fax Fight - Law 360 article mentions Eric Samore, Molly Arranz and Yesha HoeppnerLaw360, December 17, 2015
- January 3, 2013
- May 21, 2018
- October 21, 2016
- May 18, 2016
- Holster That Offer: Supreme Court Denies Company's Attempt to Pick-off Lead Plaintiff in a Class ActionMarch 7, 2016
- June 17, 2015
- November 25, 2013
- Indiana Bankers Association, December 8, 2017
- USLAW Magazine, Fall 2016
Presentations & Events
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, April 12, 2018
- 3rd Annual Financial Services Cybersecurity Conference, Indiana Infragard Members Alliance; Carmel, IN, March 22, 2018
- Brando's Speakeasy, June 21, 2017
- Better Business Bureau; Chicago, IL, May 2, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, March 2, 2017
- 2016 USLAW Network Data Privacy Security Book Camp, Dallas, TX, November 2016
- The Inevitable Class Action: Preparing for, Defending and Recovering from Potential, Company CalamityAssociation of Corporate Counsel, Chicago, IL, November 2, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, July 13, 2016
- June 23, 2016
- Park Hyatt, Chicago, IL, February 18, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, June 17, 2015
- PLUS Midwest Chapter Seminar, Chicago, IL, May 6, 2015
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, February 25, 2014
- Association of Corporate Counsel, Chicago Chapter; Chicago, IL, December 12, 2013