Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 2003 High Honors
Illinois Institute of Technology, B.S., 1993
As the National Labor Relations Board advocates in favor of unions and makes it more difficult for employers to communicate the potential ill effects of unionization, the climate between employers and union members becomes more treacherous. Mike works with employers in traditional labor relations matters by preparing statements of position, investigating grievances and litigating matters in response to filings of unfair labor practices with the National Labor Relations Board.
Mike counsels employers on labor relations, including compliance with federal and state statutes and regulations regarding Title VII, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Fair Labor Standards Act and the National Labor Relations Act. He represents employers facing litigation matters, such as discrimination charges, union organizing drives, collective bargaining, arbitration, and employment contracts and restrictive covenant disputes.
Additionally, Mike provides counsel to clients involved in immigration matters with regard to employment and compliance. He regularly assists employers obtain H-1B visas for temporary foreign employees and conducts compliance audits of I-9 forms and employers work authorization obligations.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Illinois State Bar Association
- Board of Directors: Fox Valley Association General Contractors
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, 2015
Presentations & Events
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Webinar, March 8, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, Seminar; Chicago, IL, February 16, 2017
- Construction Law Power Seminar: Critical Legal Updates Impacting the Construction Industry: What You Need to Know for 2017SmithAmundsen, Lombard, IL, January 24, 2017
- SmithAmundsen Chicago, IL; Webinar, November 10, 2016
- Technology and Manufacturing Association, Conference; Hoffman Estates, IL, November 9, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, October 18, 2016
- Harry Caray's, Lombard, IL, September 28, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, May 31, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Springfield, IL, May 26, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Bolingbrook, IL, January 28, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, January 20, 2016
- Illinois Chamber Employment Law Council, November 19, 2015
- SmithAmundsen, Webinar and Seminar, Chicago, IL, May 7, 2015
- Webinar, November 18, 2014
- Effingham, IL, October 23, 2014
- Webinar, October 7, 2014
- Webinar, August 26, 2014
- Bolingbrook, IL, August 20, 2014
- Bolingbrook, IL, May 6, 2014
- Employment & Labor Law for Illinois Employers- 2013 Power SeminarIllinois Chamber of Commerce, August 7, 2013
- Alsip, IL and Effingham, IL, January 9 and January 23, 2013