University of Dayton School of Law, J.D., 1994
Indiana University, B.A., 1991
Melinda started her legal practice more than 20 years ago as a government employee with the State of Indiana, and then with the City of Indianapolis, representing various units in administrative litigation and enforcement actions. During that time, she developed a thorough understanding of the complicated relationships between laws, regulations, and policies, and learned the importance of healthy working relationships between the public and private sectors.
Since entering private practice in 1998, Melinda has concentrated her practice on health care provider representation and defense. She handles all aspects of medical malpractice and premises liability litigation for hospitals, long-term care providers, dialysis clinics, physicians, and other health care providers before Medical Review Panels and in state and federal courts, arbitration, mediation, and administrative hearings.
Melinda also regularly advises and assists clients with risk management activities and regulatory matters such as involuntary transfers and discharges, fraud and abuse claims, and survey appeals and compliance. She also represents individual health care providers before their respective licensing boards.
- Selected to the Indiana Super Lawyers list: 2015, 2016, 2017
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: Indianapolis Bar Association; Indiana Bar Association; Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Distinguished Fellow: Indianapolis Bar Foundation
- President of Board of Directors: Hooverwood Nursing Home
- Board of Directors: Phoenix Theatre
- Former Board of Directors: Indianapolis Chamber Orchestra
- Former Docent: Indianapolis Museum of Art
- Successfully represented nursing facilities, dialysis clinics, hospitals, physicians and other health care providers in medical malpractice and professional liability litigation
- Successfully represented institutional and individual health care providers in licensure and certification investigations and administrative proceedings before the Indiana Department of Insurance, Indiana Professional Licensing Agency, and the Medicaid Fraud Control Unit
- Provide immediate emergent assistance to clients handling adverse and sentinel events including regulatory surveys and investigations
- Provide in-service training on a variety of topics including charting, risk management, record management, and preparing for and responding to investigations
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, February 2017
- 9 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Indiana Super Lawyers and 2016 Indiana Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, February 12, 2016
- SmithAmundsen, September 8, 2015