- Commercial Contracts
- Commercial Lending
- Corporate & Securities
- Corporate Governance
- General Counsel Capability
- Insolvency & Restructuring
- Insurance Transactions
- Joint Ventures & Strategic Alliance Agreements
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Money Management/Investment Adviser
- Real Estate
- Securities & Capital Markets
- Securities Enforcement
- Shareholder Activism
- Venture Capital & Private Equity
Loyola University School of Law, J.D., 2001
Indiana University, B.S., 1987
Karen’s exposure as a corporate liaison to three outside law firms in dealing with company formations, commercial lease negotiations, and working with governmental organizations relating to planning and development of real estate intrigued her so much that she decided to become an attorney herself. Today, Karen is a knowledgeable and respected attorney, assisting small and mid-sized companies in the areas of business formation, reorganization, and corporate maintenance.
Karen has immeasurable experience in maintaining business entity client files for corporations, limited liability companies and partnerships. She routinely assists clients in the formation of new business entities, raising of capital through Regulation D and Regulation A, preparation of private placement memoranda and associated agreements, and is very familiar with the filing process of the Illinois Secretary of State, the Internal Revenue Service, and the Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
Karen has in-depth knowledge and experience with not for profit corporate formation and qualification of tax exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service for both 501 (c)(3) and 501(c)(4) organizations. She is instrumental in qualifying organizations for Women Business Enterprise Certification, Minority Business Enterprise Certification, and Disadvantaged Business Certifications as well as annual recertification’s. Karen has experience in small claims contract litigation, shareholder dispute settlement negotiation, and litigation involving breaches of fiduciary duty and fraudulent conveyance.
Prior to her legal career, Karen served as development director for a commercial and residential development company. She was directly responsible for the initial start-up of new residential and commercial developments, commercial leasing efforts, and monitoring advertising and promotional efforts. Included in her responsibilities were site selection, pro-forma analysis and due diligence, rezoning, as well as proposal submissions to the City of Chicago of Requests for Qualifications (RFQs) and Requests for Proposals (RFPs) in the planned unit development process.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: ISBA, Business and Securities Law Committee; Woodstock Chamber of Commerce; Dynamic Professional Women’s Networking Group of Woodstock; Crystal Lake Chamber of Commerce
- Executive Committee: Dynamic Professional Women's Network, Inc. (DPWN) Angel Foundation
News & Press Releases
- Karen Tobin Quoted in Cook County Record – Illinois law reducing LLC fees will help make Prairie State a bit more business friendlyCook County Record, January 30, 2018
- Illinois Limited Liability Company Fees Slashed! “The time could not be better to form an LLC in Illinois”Heartland Realtor Organization, January 10, 2018
- Illinois State Bar Association's Business & Securities Law Forum, July 2016
Presentations & Events
- Institute for Paralegal Education; Webinar, March 8, 2018
- Illinois State Bar Association's Business and Securities Law Section, Chicago, IL, May 25, 2016
- Starting a Business in IllinoisIllinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, November 5, 2015
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, May 28, 2015