Marquette University Law School, J.D.
University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, B.S.
At the outset of a case, Joe partners with his client to identify the bigger picture and tailor a case strategy to achieve a positive, cost-effective result. He is a litigator protecting clients’ interests in courtrooms across the Midwest.
Joe’s practice is focused on complex high-exposure litigation and defending professionals. Recently, Joe handled a "bet the company" construction dispute, with claims and counter-claims well over $35 million each. The case involved millions of pages of electronically stored information, many depositions all over the country, and legal issues of potential first impression in Wisconsin. Joe and his colleagues developed an aggressive defense strategy that involved significant briefing and required an extraordinary command of the materials produced through discovery. In the end, Joe’s team obtained a great result for the client.
- Selected to the Milwaukee Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list: 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
Memberships & Involvement
- Hispanic National Bar Association: Region IX Deputy Regional President; Member
- State Bar of Wisconsin: Member
- Marquette Sports Law Review: Former Editor-in-Chief
- Obtained summary judgment in several legal malpractice claims
- Obtained a directed verdict at trial on behalf of a major retailer in a premises liability case
- Obtained summary judgment dismissing a plaintiff's slip and fall claim and successfully defeated the plaintiff's appeal
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, November 10, 2017
- March 9, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, November 28, 2016
- Super Lawyers, November 10, 2015
- November 13, 2017
- November 28, 2016
- November 13, 2015
- March 25, 2015
- February 3, 2015