Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 1980
Dartmouth College, A.B., 1977, summa cum laude
John Collen has more than 30 years of experience representing all parties of interest in Chapter 11 reorganizations, out of court work-outs, creditors’ rights litigation and transactions involving troubled business entities across a wide range of industries throughout the country.
In October 2012, John was asked to testify before the ABI’s Commission to Study the Reform of Chapter 11; a testament to his recognition in the field nationally.
John has filed numerous briefs in the United States Supreme Court. On behalf of a lender trade group, he authored an amicus brief in support of the prevailing side (9-0) in Bank of America v. Caulkett, in which the court opinion, in part, followed arguments put forth in that brief.
Outside the firm, John serves as an adjunct law professor in the Bankruptcy LLM program at St. John’s Law School in New York, where he also serves as the Director, Institute for Bankruptcy Policy.
- Fellow, American College of Bankruptcy
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2005, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Memberships & Involvement
- St. John's University School of Law: Adjunct Professor of Law, LLM in Bankruptcy Program; Director, Institute for Bankruptcy Policy
- Faculty Committee Member: American Board of Certification of Bankruptcy and Creditors’ Rights Attorneys; American Bankruptcy Institute
- Member: Chicago Loop Synagogue
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, January 25, 2018
- September 28, 2015
- June 16, 2015
- January 12, 2015
- January 2015
- Financial Restructuring, Insolvency & Commercial Litigation Attorney John Collen Joins the Law Firm of SmithAmundsen in ChicagoApril 2014
- April 27, 2018
Presentations & Events
- National Business Institute; National Video Webcast, March 26, 2018
- National Business Institute; National Video Webcast, February 22, 2018
- National Business Institute; National Video Webcast, November 15, 2017
- National Business Institute; National Video Webcast, June 20, 2017
- National Business Institute; National Video Webcast, May 10, 2017