IIT/Chicago-Kent College of Law, J.D., 1980, summa cum laude
Augustana College, B.A., 1977, cum laude and Phi Beta Kappa
Glen Amundsen is founder, Chairman and CEO of SmithAmundsen. He is an exceptional trial lawyer, having been lead counsel in well over 100 cases taken to verdict during his career. An incomparable leader, mentor and advisor, Glen is frequently the lead trial counsel for the firm’s most complex and highest profile matters.
Glen litigates commercial contract, property and tort related controversies. He is regularly retained to represent the interests of business enterprises, governmental entities, and professionals across the country. Glen often serves as national coordinating counsel in multi-district litigation and is chair of the firm’s commercial litigation practice group.
In addition to his trial work, Glen is an experienced mediator with formal training accredited by the United States Arbitration & Mediation Association. He is frequently invited to teach and speak on trial practice techniques and best practices in the courtroom. He has testified before the Illinois General Assembly regarding proposed amendments to the Code of Civil Procedure and on evidentiary issues relating to the admission of expert testimony in court.
As SmithAmundsen’s CEO, Glen has oversight of the firm’s strategic growth initiatives, marketing and business development efforts and works with the rest of the firm’s management team to ensure quality assurance and the implementation of the professional development plan for the firm’s professionals.
- Martindale-Hubbell AV® Preeminent™ rated
- Selected as an IIT Chicago-Kent Alumni of Distinction
- Received the 2014 President’s Award from the Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel
- Selected to Best Lawyers in America® in Commercial Litigation: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers List: 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Selected by the Leading Lawyers Network as a "Leading Lawyer" in various areas of litigation
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: SmithAmundsen Executive Committee
- Approved mediator for court annexed mediation by the Circuit Court of the 19th Judicial Circuit, Illinois, 1996 - present
- Member: Lawyers for Civil Justice (involvement with E-discovery and expert evidence issues impacting business litigation); Defense Research Institute; Illinois State representative for DRI to Lawyer’s For Civil Justice Committee on Expert Evidence (2006-present); International Association of Defense Counsel (1999-present); Legislative Affairs Committee of the Illinois Chamber of Commerce; Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (2012-present)
- Illinois Association of Defense Trial Counsel: Immediate Past-President (2006-2007); President (2005-2006); Vice-President (2004-2005); Second Vice President (2003-2004); Third Vice President (2002-2003); Board of Directors (1994-2002); Treasurer (2001-2002); Co-chair, Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee (1998-2000); Illinois Defense Counsel’s Professional Ethics Committee Chairperson, (1997-2000); Illinois Defense Counsel’s Defense Tactics Seminar Chairperson (1990)
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen, January 13, 2017
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers, November 1, 2016
- August 15, 2016
- 38 SmithAmundsen Attorneys Included on 2016 Illinois Super Lawyers and 2016 Illinois Rising Stars ListsSmithAmundsen, January 8, 2016
- U.S. News & World Report and Best Lawyers, November 2, 2015
- August 17, 2015
- January 12, 2015
- November 3, 2014
- August 2014
- November 1, 2013
- August 18, 2013
- January 3, 2013
Presentations & Events
- The Medicare Secondary Payer Act, 2012-2013 UpdatesClient Seminar, June 18, 2013