University of Virginia, B.A., 1981, with honors
Washington University School of Law, J.D., 1985
For more than 30 years Gene has represented businesses and individuals in various litigation matters. He has tried more than 30 cases to verdict, including 11 jury trials.
As a member of the firm’s Commercial Litigation Practice Group, Gene enjoys representing clients who are passionate about their work. He represents everyone from artists to manufacturers. Though his clients work in diverse fields, he takes the time to understand their businesses as well as they do. He guides his clients through a variety of legal issues including, employment, contractual, products liability, and copyright and trademark matters.
Gene often represents artists, gallery and museum owners, and individual collectors in a variety of matters. In a memorable case, he prevailed in a title dispute over Norman Rockwell’s Russian Schoolroom after it was stolen and then innocently purchased by his client at an auction.
Outside his legal practice, Gene is on the board of Solid Lines Productions, a small nonprofit whose mission is to foster community dialogue through theatre about socially-relevant issues. He also serves on the advisory board of the National Museum of American Illustration in Newport, RI, whose mission is to exhibit, and educate the public about, American illustration art.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Bar Association; Illinois State Bar Association; Missouri Bar Association
- Board Member: Solid Lines Productions
- Advisory Board Member: National Museum of American Illustration
- Past Chairman - Franchise and Pro Bono Committees: Bar Association of Metropolitan St. Louis
- Prevailed in copyright infringement actions for sculptors whose work was copied and prominently displayed outside office buildings
- Prevailed in a title dispute over a Norman Rockwell painting worth over $1 million
- Obtained summary judgement for employer on hostile environment and sexual harassment claims
- Secured favorable settlement for manufacturer of medical device on product failure claim
- Assisted a manufacturer in expanding its business through acquisitions and joint ventures