University of Nebraska College of Law, J.D., 1981
Purdue University, B.A., 1978
U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
You don’t hear many lawyers describe their legal practice as fun, but then again Lisa’s experience has been unique. She practices on an international level and has handled trademark matters in more than 50 jurisdictions worldwide, gaining vast insight into foreign legal systems. Twice she was part of an American Bar Association delegation to China to discuss intellectual property law with Chinese officials. She is currently Honorary Consul to the country of Belgium, helping Belgian citizens when they are in need in this country. Lisa has always felt a duty to counsel and advocate for others. Today she uses the knowledge and perspective gained in her 35 years of practicing law to aid clients in intellectual property matters.
As co-chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Practice Group, Lisa assists clients in developing trademarks that can be protected in the marketplace both in the United States and around the world. She enforces clients’ rights in their marks against infringing users and negotiates resolutions when possible of infringement concerns. She counsels clients as their markets or manufacturing locations expand and change as to how to best protect their intellectual property assets around the world. She assists in resolving domain name disputes and advertising concerns. Her vast experience includes aiding clients with licensing and distribution agreements, dispute resolution and related litigation, administrative proceedings, due diligence in corporate transactions and advertising concerns. Lisa represents clients in multiple industries, including manufacturing, energy, food products, insurance, retail sales, supplements, lighting, software products, furniture, music and medical products.
Lisa is enthusiastic about the arts and has been involved with several organizations that support fine arts, including previous services as chair of Renaissance Theaterworks in Milwaukee. She is also passionate about environmental issues and serves as a board member and former chair for WasteCap Resource Solutions, which provides waste reduction and recycling assistance to businesses.
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Bar Association; Wisconsin State Bar Association; Racine County Bar Association; International Practice Section Board for the State Bar of Wisconsin; International Trademark Association; Milwaukee Art Museum; Bradley Sculpture Gardens; Tall Pines Conservancy; North Lake Yacht Club
- Honorary Consul for the Kingdom of Belgium
- Board Member and Former Chair: International Practice Section Board of the State Bar of Wisconsin
- Board Member: WasteCap Resource Solutions; Promus International
- Former President: Wisconsin Intellectual Property Law Association
- Former Chair: Intellectual Property Section Board of the State Bar of Wisconsin
- Successfully counseled client on world-wide launch of new product under new trademark, including worldwide searching and registration of its new mark and advising client on advertising and labeling concerns
- Successfully represented company in the take-down of a website launched under a domain name that included the company's trademark
- Resolved opposition to trademark use and registration through the negotiation of a world-wide coexistence agreement which allowed the parties to peacefully coexist within their own business market segments
- Defended client in trademark litigation involving the alleged trademark infringement of its product configuration mark, which was ultimately settled in a manner that allowed the business to continue selling product with minor modifications
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen’s Bridge Helps Clients Protect Their Trademarks in Global Markets – Wisconsin Law Journal Highlights Lisa BridgeWisconsin Law Journal , January 11, 2017
- State Bar of Wisconsin International Law Blog, November 21, 2016
Presentations & Events
- Intellectual Property PanelBrussels, Belgium, 2015
- Intellectual Property Considerations When Entering EuropeMilwaukee Association of Commerce's World Trade Association: Opportunities for Trade with a Fragile Europe, September 2013
- Protecting Your Intellectual Property in Foreign MarketsMadison International Trade Association (MITA), April 2013