Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 1979
St. Ambrose University, B.A., 1976
David predicts that with generational wealth transfer hitting its peak over the next decade, and in light of possible tax law changes favorable to business sales and estate plan matters, the coming years should see a considerable increase in mergers and acquisitions for owners and advisors. In these types of matters, partnering with a seasoned attorney is key to success. For more than 30 years national, regional and local banks, financial services companies, mortgage banks, brokerage companies, and small to mid-cap business owners have called on David to provide the advice and counsel they need to achieve their business goals.
David has served as in-house corporate counsel to banking institutions and as outside counsel to a number of financial institutions. He serves as lender’s counsel in commercial and real estate financing, with an emphasis on securing lending and bankruptcy/reorganizations. He has been admitted to numerous federal bankruptcy courts across the country to represent secured creditor interests and prosecute their various claims in both business reorganizations and Chapter 7 liquidations. Furthermore, David counsels companies and ownership interests on reorganizations of businesses and serves as debtor’s counsel. His experience includes numerous transactions involving corporations and partnerships regarding mergers and asset sales and the financing of conventional offerings. Finally, he represents national financial institutions before state regulatory agencies across the country and has been consulted by industry and government representatives on the issues of chartering and licensing of financial institutions.
David has also advised a number of for-profit and not-for-profit enterprises and businesses in a variety of manufacturing, educational and services industries on contract negotiations for commercial relationships, organizational formation, financing, real estate, commercial leases, mergers and acquisitions, reorganization and liquidation.
- Chesterfield Chamber of Commerce, Chamber's Taskmaster Award for Service (2003)
Memberships & Involvement
- Member: American Bankruptcy Institute, Creditors Rights Committee; The Missouri Bar, Commercial Law Committee; Commercial Law League of America, Creditor's Rights Section; Alzheimer's Association
- Special Counsel: Boys Hope/Girls Hope National, St. Louis
- Alumni Board of Directors: St. Ambrose University
- Alliance of Merger and Acquisition Advisors: Advisory Board Member; Founder and Chapter President, St. Louis and Arizona Chapters
- Assisted manufacturing client in acquisition of supplier company to insure product line continuity, saving scores of jobs in the market and addressing environmental impact issues that were an integral part of the acquisition's indemnification terms
- Assisted bank and commercial lender clients with workouts, recovery and bankruptcy matters on large loan transactions during recent recession
- Assisted numerous closely-held, family-owned business clients with succession planning, trust administration and in some cases, private equity investor transaction/recapitalization strategies
News & Press Releases
- SmithAmundsen Organizes “Planting and Gardening” Day in St. Louis for Epworth Children and Family ServicesOctober 13, 2017
- Alliance of Mergers & Acquisition Advisors, July 19, 2017
- SmithAmundsen, January 26, 2017
- Attorney David G. Asmus Joins SmithAmundsen's Corporate & Securities and Banking & Financial Institutions Practice Groups in St. LouisJanuary 20, 2017
- July 28, 2017
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) St. Louis, October 31, 2017