Northeastern University, J.D., 1991
Boston College, B.A., 1988
Carlos has been practicing law for more than 20 years and still enjoys it as much as when he first started. His goal in practice is to not merely meet, but to consistently exceed his client’s expectations. Carlos represents public and private sector clients ranging from municipalities to closely-held corporations in the areas of labor and employment and local government law.
He represents corporations in employment contract and benefit disputes and advocates for his clients in court at the state and federal level and administrative proceedings before the Equal Opportunity Employment Commission, Illinois Department of Human Rights, Illinois Labor Relations Board, Illinois Department of Labor and Illinois Department of Employment Security.
Additionally, he has represented public sector entities as corporate counsel with issues related to governance, statutory compliance, transactional as well as public employee benefits, termination, discipline, collective bargaining and other general employment matters. He serves as counsel for several local governments in Northern Illinois. He also advises clients on growth and development matters and provides day-to-day advice and counsel.
A true believer in the value of service, Carlos served as president of the McHenry County Bar Association and is active in leadership for the Illinois State Bar Association’s labor and employment and local government related committees. He currently serves as president-elect of the Stateline SHRM Chapter. He sits on the Regional Board of the Mercy Health System and is a member of the Leadership Greater McHenry County Class of 2013 serving on the alumni and curriculum committees.
Born in El Salvador, Carlos moved to Massachusetts as a teen. He is a fluent Spanish speaker.
Memberships & Involvement
- Stateline SHRM: President-Elect 2017-2018
- Illinois State Bar Association: Labor & Employment Section Council Chair 2016-2017, Vice Chair 2015-2016, Secretary 2014-2015
- Regional Community Board: Mercy Health System
- Member: Illinois State Bar Association, Local Government Law Section Council; Illinois Public Employer Labor Relations Association, Legislative Committee
- McHenry County Bar Association: President 2014-2015
News & Press Releases
- May 28, 2015
- New law nixes criminal question from job applications - Carlos Arévalo Quoted in Northwest HeraldNorthwest Herald, September 6, 2014
- Tattoo policies vary based on industry, culture - Carlos Arévalo Quoted in Northwest HeraldNorthwest Herald, August 3, 2014
- A fast learner and riser - Chicago Daily Law Bulletin Highlights Carlos ArévaloChicago Daily Law Bulletin, July 14, 2014
- First minority elected to lead McHenry County Bar - Northwest Herald Highlights Carlos ArévaloNorthwest Herald, July 6, 2014
Contributing Author, SmithAmundsen's Labor & Employment Law Update, a labor and employment advisory blog.
Contributing Author, Illinois Chamber of Commerce's Chamber Dispatch, an HR advisory blog.
- July 7, 2017
- March 29, 2017
- January 10, 2017
- September 14, 2016
- September 14, 2016
- The Newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association’s Section on Local Government Law, December 8, 2016
- ISBA's Labor & Employment Law Newsletter, April 2016
- Managers Must Keep Up with New OSHA Reporting RulesNorthwest Herald, March 8, 2015
- Police and Fire Discharge: Arbitration vs. Commission- What Does the Collective Bargaining Agreement Say?Labor and Employment Law , December 2014
- Warehouse Workers Only Entitled to "Work Time" PayNorthwest Herald, December 14, 2014
- 'Ban the Box' Law Going into Effect in 2015Northwest Herald , August 3, 2014
- The Supreme Court’s Vance v. Ball State University decision –Who is a supervisor for purposes of Title VII?Labor and Employment Law, newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association’s Section on Labor and Employment Law, September 2013
- A Recent PSEBA Decision: Lifetime Benefits They Are Not!Labor & Employment Law, newsletter of the Illinois State Bar Association’s Section on Labor & Employment Law, March 2013
Presentations & Events
- Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference; Chicago, IL, September 22, 2017
- Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference; Chicago, IL, September 21, 2017
- SmithAmundsen Seminar; Lombard, IL, September 13, 2017
- Brando's Speakeasy, June 21, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Seminar; Peoria, IL, January 26, 2017
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, January 19, 2017
- Chicago-Kent College of Law, Conference; Chicago, IL, December 2, 2016
- Illinois Public Employer Labor Relations Association, October 24, 2016
- Illinois Municipal League Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, September 22, 2016
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, November 10, 2015
- MCC Shah Center, McHenry, IL, September 10, 2015
- Illinois Chamber of Commerce, Webinar, August 13, 2015
- Sales Tax Litigation in IllinoisIllinois Municipal League Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, September 2014
- FOIA & OMA in the Internet AgeIllinois Municipal League Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, September 2014
- Freedom of Information Act and Open Meetings in the Internet AgeIllinois Municipal League Annual Conference, Chicago, IL, October 2013
- Independent Contractors v. Employees: What you don’t know might hurt youThe CPE Club, Crystal Lake, IL, July 2013